The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, November 27, 1575 [Spelling modernized].


Cecil Papers 8/76 (bifolium, 300mm x 205mm, repaired), Oxford to Burghley; 27 November [1575] (W109;F196). [Click here for original spelling.]

My Lord,
Having the opportunity to write by this bearer who departs from us here in Padua,  this night, although I cannot make so large a write as I would gladly desire yet I thought it not fit to let so short a time slip.  Wherefore remembering my commendations to your good Lordship, this shall be to desire you to pardon the shortness of my letters, and to impute it at this present to the haste of this messenger’s departure. And as concerning my own matters, I shall desire your Lordship to make no stay of sales of my land,  but that all things according to my determinations before I came away.  With those that I appointed last by my servant William Bothe might go forward, according to my order taken, without any other alteration. Thus recommending myself unto your Lordship  again, and to my Lady your wife, with mine, I leave further to trouble your Lordship from
Padua
The 27th of November.

Your Lordship’s to command.
(signed) Edward Oxenford




(Addressed by Oxford) To the right honorable and his very good lord my Lord Burley lord Treasurer of England give this

Endorsed: 27 November 1575 The Earl of Oxford to my lord from Padua the sale of his lands not to be stayed.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:


  • Edward de Vere, Shakespeare and Tycho Brahe.  June 9, 2020. “When Brahe was encouraged by his friends and associates to publish a book on the November 1572 supernova for which he is now famous, his answer belonged to his times.”
  • Shakespeare’s Funeral Meats. May 13, 2020. “Famous as this has been since its discovery, it has been willfully misread more often than not.  No mainstream scholar had any use for a reference to Hamlet years before it was supposed to have been written.”
  • A Most Curious Account of the Funeral of Queen Elizabeth I: April 28, 1603.  April 28, 2019.  “Once it was clear that James I would face no serious challenges, Cecil and the others could begin to give attention to the matter of the Queen’s funeral.”
  • The Battle Over Shakespeare's Early and Late Plays. September 24, 2018. “The answers to the post-Oxford dilemma, of course, are three.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question. 
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.




  • No comments: