The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, March 18, 1575 [Spelling modernized.]


Cecil Papers, 8/24, Oxford to Burghley, 18 March 1575 (bifolium, 295mm x 208mm) (W102-3; F163-4). [Click here for original spelling.]

My lord,

Your letters have made me a glad man, for these last have put me in assurance of that good fortune which your former mentioned doubtfully.  I thank god therefore, with your Lordship that it has pleased him to make me a father where your Lordship is a grandfather and if it be a boy I shall likewise be the partaker with you in a greater contentation.  But thereby to take an occasion to return I am far off from that opinion, for now it has pleased god to give me a son of my own (as I hope it is) methink I have the better occasion to travel, since whatsoever becomes of me. I leave behind me one to supply my duty and service either to my prince or else my country.

I thank your Lordship I have received further bills of credit, and letters of great courtesy from Mr. Benedict Spinola.  I am also beholding here unto Mr. Reymondo, that has help[ed] me greatly with a number of favors whom I shall desire your Lordship when you have leisure and occasion to give him thanks, for I know the greatest part of his friendship towards me has been in respect of your Lordship.




For fear of the Inquisition I dare not pass by Milan, the Bishop whereof exercises such tyranny.  Wherefore I take the way of Germany, where I mean to acquaint myself with Sturmius, with whom after I pass my journey now I have in hand I mean to pass some time.

I have found here this courtesy, the king has given me his letters of recommendation to his ambassador in the Turk’s court, likewise the Venetian ambassador that is here knowing my desire to see those parties has given me his letters to the Duke, and divers of his kinsmen in Venice, to procure me their furtherances to my journey which I am not yet assured to hold for if the Turks come as they be looked for upon the coast of Italy or elsewhere, if I may I will see the service, if he comes not then perhaps I will bestow two or three months to see Constantinople, and some part of Greece.

The English ambassador here greatly complains of the dearness of this country, and earnestly has desired me to crave your Lordship’s favor to consider the difference of his time, from theirs which were before him. He says the charges are greater, and his ability less the court removes long and often, the causes of expenses augmented, his allowance not being increased.  But as concerning these matters, now I have satisfied his desire I refer them to your Lordship’s discretion, that is better experienced than I perhaps th[illegible] negotiations of Ambassadors.

My Lord whereas I perceive by your Lordship’s letters, how hardly money is to be gotten, and that my man writes he would fain pay unto my creditors some part of that money which I have appointed to be made over to me, good my Lord let rather my creditors bear with me a while and take their days assigned according to that order I left, than I to want in a strange country, unknowing yet what need I may have of money myself.   My revenue I appointed with the profits of my lands to pay them as I may, and if I cannot yet pay them as I would yet as I can I will but preferring my own necessity before theirs, and if at the end of my travel I shall have something left of my provision they shall have it among them, but before I will not disfurnish myself.  Good my lord have an eye unto my men that I have put is trust.  Thus making my commendations to your Lordship and my Lady I commit you to god, and wheresoever I am I rest at your Lordship’s commandment.



Written the 18th of March from Paris.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

My Lord this gentleman Mr Corbek, has given me great cause to like of him both for his courtesies that he has shown me in letting me understand the difficulties as well as the safeties of my travel, as also I find him affected both to me and your Lordship I pray your Lordship that those who are my friends may seem yours as yours I esteem mine, and given your Lordship’s good countenance and in short I rest yours.

Addressed: To the right honorable and his singular good Lord my Lord Treasurer of England give these. [seal]

Endorsed: March 1574 [1575 N.S.] the Earl of Oxford to me [illegible] knowledge [illegible]


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • Plague Dogs in 16th Century London. April 7, 2020. "In his account of the sources and effects of pestilences, from his enormously popular poem De Rerum Natura, the Roman author Titus Lucretius Carus noted that dogs caught pestilences as well." 
  • What About Edward de Vere’s Twelfth Night of 1600/01? January 28, 2020. “Leslie Hotson, who brought the Orsino-Orsino coincidence to the attention of the Nevillians seems to have made one particular mistake that is all to our point.”
  • Who Saved Southampton from the Ax? September 2, 2019.  “One of the popular mysteries of the final years of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I is why the Queen executed her favorite, the Earl of Essex, for treason, and left his accomplice, the Earl of Southampton, to languish as a prisoner in The Tower until King James I ascended the throne.”
  • A Most Curious Account of the Funeral of Queen Elizabeth I: April 28, 1603.  April 28, 2019.  “Once it was clear that James I would face no serious challenges, Cecil and the others could begin to give attention to the matter of the Queen’s funeral.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question. 



No comments: