The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, September 24, 1575. [Spelling Modernized.]

Cecil Papers 160/74 (bifolium, 305mm x 215mm) Oxford to Burghley; 24 September 1575 (W107-8;F181-2). [Click here for original spelling.]

My good lord,

Having looked for your Lordship’s letters a great while, at length when I grew to despair of them I received two from your Lordship three packets which at sundry times I had sent this summer towards England returned back again, by reason the plague being in the passages, none were suffered to pass but as they came were returned back; which I came not to the knowledge of until my return now to Venice, where I have been grieved with a fever. Yet with the help of god now I have recovered the same and am past the danger thereof though brought very weak thereby, and hindered from a great deal of travel. Which grieves me most, fearing my time not sufficient for my desire. For although I have seen so much as suffices me yet would I have time to profit thereby. Your Lordship seems desirous to know how I like Italy, what is my intention, in travel, and when I mean to return. For my liking of Italy, my lord,  I am glad I have seen it, and I care not ever to see it anymore unless it be to serve my prince or country.  For my intention to travel, I am desirous to see more of Germany, wherefore I shall desire your Lordship with my Lord of Leicester, to procure me the next summer, to continue my license, at the end of which I mean undoubtedly to return.  I thought to have seen Spain, but by Italy, I guess the worse. I have sent one of my servants into England, with some new disposition of my things there, wherefore I will not trouble your Lordship in these letters with the same. If this sickness had not happened unto me which



has taken away this chiefest time of travel, at this present I would not have written for further leave, but to supply the which, I doubt not her Majesty will not deny me so small a favor.  By reason of my great charges of travel and sickness I have taken up of Mr. Baptisto Nigrone 500 crowns, which I shall desire your Lordship to see there repaid.  Hoping by this time my money which is made of the sale of my land is all come in. Likewise I shall desire your Lordship that whereas I had one Luke Atslow that served, who now is become a lewd subject to her Majesty and an evil member to his country, which had certain leases of me, I do think according to Law he loses them all to the Queen since he is become one of the Romish church and there has performed all such ceremonies as might reconcile himself to that church having used lewd speeches against the Queen Majesty’s supremacy, legitimation, government and particular life, and is here as it were a practicer upon our nation, then this is my desire that your Lordship if it be so as I do take it would procure those leases into my hands again whereas I have understood by my Lord of Bedford they have hardly dealt with my tenants.  Thus thanking your Lordship for your good news of my wife’s delivery, I recommend myself unto your favor and although I write for a few months more yet though I have them so it may fall out I will shorten them myself.

Written this 24th of September by your Lordship’s to command.
(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed: To the right honorable his singular good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England [seal]

Endorsed: 24 Sept. 1575 Earl of Oxford to me.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:


  • Edward de Vere, Shakespeare and Tycho Brahe.  June 9, 2020. “When Brahe was encouraged by his friends and associates to publish a book on the November 1572 supernova for which he is now famous, his answer belonged to his times.”
  • Shakespeare’s Funeral Meats. May 13, 2020. “Famous as this has been since its discovery, it has been willfully misread more often than not.  No mainstream scholar had any use for a reference to Hamlet years before it was supposed to have been written.”
  • A Most Curious Account of the Funeral of Queen Elizabeth I: April 28, 1603.  April 28, 2019.  “Once it was clear that James I would face no serious challenges, Cecil and the others could begin to give attention to the matter of the Queen’s funeral.”
  • The Battle Over Shakespeare's Early and Late Plays. September 24, 2018. “The answers to the post-Oxford dilemma, of course, are three.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question. 
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.





  • No comments: