The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, 1583. [Spelling modernized.]

BL Lansdowne 38/62, ff. 158-9 (bifolium, 300mm x 190mm, 225mm x 190mm), Oxford to Burghley; 1583 (W245-6;F303). [Click here for original spelling.]

I have been an earnest suitor unto your Lordship, for my Lord Lumley, that it would please you for my sake to stand his good lord and friend, which as I perceive your Lordship has already very honorably, the which I am in a number of things more than I can reckon bound unto your lordship so am I likewise especially. For he has matched with a near kinswoman of mine, to whose father I always was beholding unto, for his assured and kind disposition unto me. Further, among all the rest of my blood, this only remains in account either of me or else of  them., as your lordship does know very well, the rest having embraced further alliances, to leave their nearer consanguinity. And as I hope your lordship does account me now on whom you have so much bound as I am to be yours before any else in the world, both through match, whereby I count my greatest stay, and by your lordship’s friendly usage and sticking by me in this time wherein I am hedged in with so many enemies, so likewise I hope your lordship will take all them for your followers and most at Command which are inclined and affected to me. Wherefore I [shall] once again be thus bold with your lordship to be importunate in this matter your lordship’s favor in [easing] my lord Lumley’s payment to her majesty wherein we all give your lordship thanks, and you shall do me as great an honor herein, as a profit if it had been to myself. In [this] through your lordship’s favor I shall be able to pleasure my friend, and stand needless of others, that have forsaken me. Thus, for that your lordship is troubled with many matters where you are, I crave pardon for troubling you.

Your lordship’s to command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed by Oxford: To the right honorable and his very good lord my lord Treasurer of England give this. [seal]

Endorsed by Burghley: Earl of Oxford for the Lord Lumley

Second endorsement: 1583

 

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A Model for Lady Macbeth.  July 12, 2020.  “In Macbeth, the Lady of the castle would also seem to be her Lord’s indomitable will.  She will see the deeds done that need be done in order for him to pass the daunting tests and wear the crown.”
  • Edward de Vere, Shakespeare and Tycho Brahe.  June 9, 2020. “When Brahe was encouraged by his friends and associates to publish a book on the November 1572 supernova for which he is now famous, his answer belonged to his times.”
  • Portia’s Quality of Mercy.  June 2, 2020. “Likely a line from Sonnenschein’s 1905 follow-up essay “Shakspere and Stoicism” is to the point: ‘I hope, by the way, that no "Baconian" will find in this article grist for his mill.’
  • Edward de Vere's Memorial For His Son, Who Died at Birth May 1583.  July 5, 2017.  "The brief Viscount Bulbeck being the son of the renowned poet and playwright Edward de Vere, we might have hoped to have the text of the father’s own memorial poem.  As far as traditional literary history is concerned, no such poem has yet been discovered."
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question. 



No comments: