The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, August 08, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, July 1581. [Spelling modernized.]

 BL Lansdowne 33/6, ff. 12-13 (bifolium, 238mm x 160mm), Oxford to Burghley; July 1581 (W223-4;F283-4).

[Click here for original spelling.]


My lord,

Robin Christmas did yesterday tell me how honorably you had dealt with her majesty as touching my Liberty, and that, as this day, she had made promise to your Lordship that it should be. Unless your Lordship shall make some to put her majesty in mind thereof, I fear, in these causes of the two lords, she will forget me. For she is nothing of her own disposition, as I find, so ready to deliver, as speedy to commit. And every little trifle gives her matter for a long delay. I willed E. Hammond to report unto your Lordship, her majesty’s message unto me by Mr. secretary Walsingham which was to this effect, first that she would have heard the matter again touching Henry Howard, Southwell and Arundel. Then that she understood I meant to cut down all my woods, especially about my house; which she did not well like of. As if I should sell some land else other where. And last that she heard I have been hardly used by 

some of my servants, during this time of my commit[ment]. Wherein she promised her aid, so far as she could with justice, to redress the loss I had sustained thereby. To which I made answer, as I willed Hammond to relate unto your Lordship. Further my lord, whereof I am desirous something to write, I have understood of certain of my men have resorted to your lordship, and sought by false reports of other of their fellows, both to abuse your lordship and me. But for that this bearer seems most herein to be touched, I have sent him unto your lordship, as is his earnest desire, that your lordship might so know him, as your evil opinion, being conceived amiss by these lewd fellows may be removed. And truly my lord, I hear of those things wherewith he is charged, and I can assure you wrongfully and slanderously, but the world is so cunning, as of a shadow they can make a substance, and of likelihood a truth. And these fellows, if they be those, which I suppose, I do not doubt but so to decipher them to the world, as easily your lordship shall look into their lewdness and unfaithfulness. Which until my liberty I mean to defer, as more mindful of that importing me most at this time, then yet seeking to revenge myself of such perverse and impudent dealings of servants which I know have not wanted encouragement and setting on. But letting these things pass for a while, I must not forget to give your lordship those thanks, which are due to you, for this your honorable dealing to her majesty in my behalf. Which I hope will not be without effect.

The which attending from the court, I will take my leave of your lordship, and rest at your Commandment, at my house this morning

Your lordship’s assured

(signed) Edward Oxenford

 

Addressed by Earl of Oxford: For my lord Treasurer [seal]

 

Endorsed by Baron Burghley: July 1581 Earl of Oxford thanks

Second endorsement: Thanks his lordship for obtaining the promise of his Liberty of the Queen: entreating him to remember the Queen of him. The Queen’s message to him to Walsingham.

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:



No comments: