The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, September 8, 1590. [Spelling Modernized.]

BL Lansdowne 63/76, ff. 191-2 (bifolium, 317mm x 205mm), Oxford to Burghley; 8 September 1590 (W304;F378-9). [Click here for original spelling.]


I would have been with your Lordship before this, but that I have not had my health. Nevertheless Hampton being returned from the country, I have sent him to your Lordship, that he may advertise you of his proceedings there. At Oatlands I think your Lordship remembers a complaint, of [blank space] Bellingham’s son, of his mother’s putting forth of the castle, which was before anything done, whereupon your Lordship directed a letter unto [illegible] sheriff, [illegible] whereof, as it seems, Thomas Hampton, had dealt with more favor towards her, than the letters unto the sheriff imported. Notwithstanding I understand Bellingham is gone to the Court, encouraged I know not by what friends, to complain, as he did report here in town not to your Lordship, but to her Majesty’s self. My lord, it was ever meant that he should have consideration, as reason and conscience might afford him. But since he has taken a violent course, and refuses reasonable offers, I have sent Hampton to inform your Lordship, the state of the man, who has received heretofore a pardon for three burglaries, and stands bound to the good behavior. Which behavior for sundry and manifest breaches thereof, which I can prove, he has lost the benefit of his pardon, whereby as lord of the manor escheat, I am to deal with him, as he has given me occasion, and herein I hope her Majesty will have consideration, since the same case has been seen once in Henry the seventh’s time, and one example in this her Majesty’s. For those things which fall to me by escheat I do not doubt that her Majesty will against her law give any ear, or harken to such wrongful complaint.


Skinner has been often with me, for a composition: upon what point of law Hampton is to inform your Lordship referring myself wholly to your [illegible] who in all my causes I find my honorable good Lord, and to deal more fatherly than friendly with me, for the which I do acknowledge and ever will myself in most especial-wise bound. And whereas there is a lease in Arthur Myles’ hand of the manner and Lands of Lavenham, I desire your Lordship to cause  him to make over his trust unto my servant Minn, to whom the other lease is made. If there be complaints made unto your Lordship as I doubt not that there will, against the proceedings of my officers, I most earnestly desire, that there may be some reasonable time appointed for the answering of them, because my counsel is  not in town, but shall be before, or at the beginning of the term, to satisfy your lordship and answer their particular complaints. London the 8th of September

 

Yowre lordships to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (by Earl of Oxford): To the right honorable and his ve[illegible] the Lord Treasurer of England give this at the Court [seal]

Endorsed: 8 September 1590; Earl of Oxford to my Lord; [illegible]; Touching a contest between him & one Bellingham, who had be pardoned for burglary, & bound to ye good behavior. The for[illegible] of whose pardon he was mind to prosecute.

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A 1572 Oxford Letter and the Player’s Speech in Hamlet. August 11, 2020. “The player’s speech has been a source of consternation among Shakespeare scholars for above 200 years.  Why was Aeneas’ tale chosen as the subject?”
  • Edward de Vere, Shakespeare and Tycho Brahe.  June 9, 2020. “When Brahe was encouraged by his friends and associates to publish a book on the November 1572 supernova for which he is now famous, his answer belonged to his times.”
  • Shakespeare’s Funeral Meats. May 13, 2020. “Famous as this has been since its discovery, it has been willfully misread more often than not.  No mainstream scholar had any use for a reference to Hamlet years before it was supposed to have been written.”
  • Malvolio’s Crow's Feet and “the new Mappe”. October 14, 2019. “Percy Allen’s candidate is not mentioned by any of these parties. The traditionalists, of course, could not consider it possible because it would suggest far too early a date for the play.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

No comments: