The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Sir Philip Sidney to Sir Christopher Hatton, August 28, 1579.

In this letter Sidney reminds Christopher Hatton, a courtier of particular influence with Queen Elizabeth I, of their alliance. This in an attempt to strike back at the Earl of Oxford for the insult known as The Tennis Court Incident.  In the end, the Queen will gently but firmly chastise Sydney and remind him of the Earl’s much higher rank and concomitant privileges even in the matter of ordering those of lesser rank off tennis courts when they should wish to play.

Among Oxfordians (and a good many others), this is understood to be the quarrel described by Touchstone in Shakespeare’s As You Like It (V.iv. 45-56 & 70-104).

Jaques. Good my Lord, bid him welcome: This is the Motley-minded Gentleman, that I have so often met in the Forrest: he hath bin a Courtier he sweares.

Touchstone. If any man doubt that, let him put mee to my purgation, I have trod a measure, I have flattred a Lady, I have bin politicke with my friend, smooth with mine  enemie, I have undone three Tailors, I have had foure quarrels, and like to have fought one.

Jaq. And how was that tane up?

Touch. 'Faith we met, and found the quarrel was upon the seventh cause

Jaq. How seventh cause?...

Jaq. But for the seventh cause. How did you finde the quarrell on the seventh cause?

Touch. Upon a lye, seven times removed: (beare your bodie more seeming Audry) as thus sir: I did dislike the cut of a certaine Courtiers beard: he sent me word, if I said his beard was not cut well, hee was in the minde it was: this is call'd the retort courteous. If I sent him word againe, it was not well cut, he wold send me word he cut it to please himselfe: this is call'd the quip modest. If againe, it was not well cut, he disabled my iudgment: this is called, the reply churlish. If againe it was not well  cut, he would answer I spake not true: this is call'd the reproofe valiant. If againe, it was not well cut, he wold say, I lie: this is call'd the counter-checke quarrelsome: and so to lye circumstantiall, and the lye direct.

Jaq. And how oft did you say his beard was not well cut?

Touch. I durst go no further then the lye circumstantial: nor he durst not give me the lye direct: and so wee measur'd swords, and parted.

In fact, Oxford accused Sidney of not being able to grow a beard at all. History remembers only that hot words were exchanged after the former called the latter a “puppy”.

Sir, the greate advantage which I have, by the singular goodnes and frendshippe it pleaseth you to shewe me, which in truthe I do and have a good while reputed amongest the chiefe ornaments of my life and fortune, makes me fynde myselfe at as much disadvantage, when my hart, longing to shewe myself gratefull, can present nothing which maye be servisable unto you. But as I knowe, and have well founde, that you do esteeme a true good-will of some valewe, in that kynde only can I shewe myself, and assure you, that the litell that I am is and shall be in all times and fortunes so to be disposed by you, as one that hath promised love, and is bounde by deserte to performe it. This is all, therefore, I can saye, though you lose me, you have me. As for the matter depending betwene the Earle of Oxford and me, certaynly, Sir, howsoever I might have forgiven hym, I should never have forgiven myself, if I had layne under so proude an injury as he would have laide uppon me, neither can anything under the sunne make me repente it, nor any misery make me go one halfe worde back from it. Let him, therefore, as he will, digest it. For my parte, I thinke tying upp makes some thinges seeme fiercer then they would be. Sir, let me crave still the continuance of my happines in your favour and frendshippe, and I will ever praye unto God that, among those I most honor, I maye ever see you have prosperous causes of contentment.

28th August 1579

Your Honor's to be commanded even by duty,

Philip Sedney.

 

Queen Elizabeth and her times, original letters… II.100-1.

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

2 comments:

politicworm said...

Most interesting. Thanks for this. While the world has taken the tennis court quarrel as the trigger that parted Sidney from Oxford, much more likely was it that, as a poet worthy of the world's attention, as testified by

Sidney's Sonnet Cycle of 108 verses, Astrophil & Stella, published by his sister Mary, Countess of Pembroke (in 1593, I think), that must predate Oxford's since they were written before his death from wounds suffered in the lowlands war in 1585, while Oxford's. at least as later published, can't be dated any earlier than the nineties. The real issue that infuriated Philip was Oxford's treatment of him as Slender in early versions of Merry Wives and HIV part two, as the supporter of Robert Shallow, Oxford's swipe at Leicester, and as Aguecheek in Twelfth Night (Sidney's cheeks were pitted with the smallpox that had destroyed his mother's looks). Oxford was much more concerned about his status as Court Poet than he was about his rank, but he'd use that if he had to. Oxford was not Mr. Nice Guy.

Richard Malim said...

Remember that Leicester had robbed the under age Oxford blind and the Dudley/ Sidney family deserved anything that Oxford cd splatter on them. Why be 'nice' at all!