The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, November 15, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Robert Cecil, September 6, 1596. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 44/63, Oxford to Cecil; 6 September 1596. [Click here for original spelling.]

The writing which I have is in the country, for I had such care thereof as I carried it with me in a little desk. Tomorrow or the next day I aim to go thither, and so soon as I come home by the grace of god I will send it [to] you. The Earl of Derby should have set his hand and seal to this copy, as he had done to yours, but his promises, being but delays and shifts, in the mean season, I caused his officer Irland and another to set their hands unto it, to witness that it was a true copy. I named to you in haste in my last letter, Mr. Hickes. But I had forgot myself, it was Mr. Barnardeux whom my lord employed in that cause. And therefore I think him able to satisfy all such doubts as my lord may cast. I do not doubt, but if my lord had then any care thereof, or Mr. Barnardeux, but that this 

assurance is as firm as the law can make it. There was employed in it the Master of the Roles then and now lord keeper, and others of my lord’s learned counsel in law, who I hope are sufficient to pass greater matters than it.

Thus taking my leave, from Canon Row, this 6 of September 1596.

I remain your loving friend.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

 

Addressed: To his very well beloved and honorable friend Sir Robert Cecil principal secretary to her Majesty and one of her highness’ privy Council give this. [seal]


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A 1572 Oxford Letter and the Player’s Speech in Hamlet. August 11, 2020. “The player’s speech has been a source of consternation among Shakespeare scholars for above 200 years.  Why was Aeneas’ tale chosen as the subject?”
  • Malvolio’s Crow's Feet and “the new Mappe”. October 14, 2019. “Percy Allen’s candidate is not mentioned by any of these parties. The traditionalists, of course, could not consider it possible because it would suggest far too early a date for the play.”
  • Crocodiles, Prester John and where the Earle of Oxenford wasn't.  January 10, 2018.  “From Cairo he is taken next as part of a 500,000 man military force to conquer the land of Prester John.  That wondrous mythical medieval king also has giant sluices at his control and drowns 60,000 Turks.”
  • Let the sky rain potatoes! December 16, 2017. "In fact, the sweet potato had only just begun to be a delicacy within the reach of splurging poets and playwrights and members of the middle classes at the time that The Merry Wives of Windsor (the play from which Falstaff is quoted) was written.  The old soldier liked to keep abreast of the new fads.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

 


No comments: