The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, November 07, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Robert Cecil, October 21, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 172/81 (bifolium, 287mm x 196mm), Oxford to Cecil; 21 October 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

There are times, wherein the use of friends, are so necessary, that although we be loath to be cumbersome, yet are we compelled, to thrust into there hands, the trust of our troublesome causes. Such is my state at this present, who in my own conceit have no mistrust of your good disposition towards me, yet am I forced by what unlooked for occasion I cannot tell, at this time to turn my thought upon you, as the only friend, with whom, I think I may be boldest.

Wherefore for that I understood, the great danger of life, wherein Mr. vice-chamberlain lay, considering the vainness & humors of this world, I do not mistrust, but many things hereby, falling into her Majesty’s hands to bestow, that there would be many suitors. And for that to the keeping of the forest of Waltham, & the park of Havering, 

my evidences show me a certain right to the same, from which I cannot be persuaded until I know better to the contrary. I have most humbly written to her Majesty that after so many bestowings of it upon others void of any pretense, she will now at length give ear, to the justness of my cause, & at length as she hath often disposed it upon others upon favor, that now not only upon justice, but also upon grace she will deign it to the rightful keeper.

And this I do not notice to you, as if I thought it in your power to do more than it shall please to come of her Majesty’s own disposition, but for that you are the only person that I dare rely upon in the Court, and at this present to implore as an instrument, to make my desire known unto her Majesty.

And thus having opened to you my cause, what I have written in effect to her Majesty and what I crave of your courtesy, I commit you to God. This 21 of October 1595.

Your loving and assured friend and brother.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed: To the right honorable & his very well-beloved friend & Brother in Law, Sir Robert Cecil, one of her Majesty’s privy Counsel. [trace of seal]

Endorsed: 21 October 1595; Earl of Oxford to my Master.

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A 1572 Oxford Letter and the Player’s Speech in Hamlet. August 11, 2020. “The player’s speech has been a source of consternation among Shakespeare scholars for above 200 years.  Why was Aeneas’ tale chosen as the subject?”
  • Gutenberg, proto-Hack Writers and Shakespeare. May 26, 2020. “A less well known effect of the Reformation was that many young Catholic men who had taken religious orders in order to receive an education began to lead lives at large from monastic discipline.  Like Erasmus and Rabelais they took up the pen.”
  • The Battle Over Shakespeare's Early and Late Plays. September 24, 2018. “The answers to the post-Oxford dilemma, of course, are three.”
  • Shakespeare's Apricocks.  February 21, 2017.  "While he may never have been a gardener, he does seem more than superficially knowledgeable about the gardens of his day.  One detail of such matters that he got wrong, however, is as much to the point as any."
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

 

No comments: