The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, December 20, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil. February 2, 1600 (O.S.) [Spelling Modernized.]

Cecil Papers 76/34, Oxford to Cecil; 2 February 1600 (O.S.) [Click here for original spelling.]

At this time, I am to try my friends: among which considering our old acquaintance, familiarity heretofore, & alliance of houses, (then which can be no straighter) as of my Brother, I presume especially. Wherefore at this time, whereas some good fortune (if it be backed by friends) does in a manner present itself. I most earnestly crave your furtherance so far as the place and favour you hold may admit. And that is as I conceive: that if her Majesty be willing, to confer the Presidency of Wales to me, that I may assure myself of your voice in 


Council rather than a stranger. Not that I desire you should be a mover, but a furtherer. For as the time is it were not reason. But if it shall please her Majesty in regard of my youth time & fortune spent in her Court, adding thereto her majesty’s favours, & promises, which drew me on without any mistrust, the more to presume in my own expenses, to confer so good a turn to me, that then with your good word, and brotherly friendship, you will encourage her forward, and further it as you may. For I know her Majesty is of that princely disposition that they shall not be deceived which put their trust in her. Which good office in you, I will never forget; and always to my power acknowledge in love & kindness hoping that as we be knit 


near in alliance so hereafter more nearer by good and friendly offices. Thus most earnestly desiring you to have me in friendly remembrance, when time serves. I take my leave. this 2d of February.

Your assured and loving Brother.

(signed) Edward

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable and my very good Brother Sir Robert Cecil of her Majesty’s privy council, principle Secretary & Master of the wards. [seal]

Endorsed: 1600 February 2; Earl of Oxford to my master.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:


 

 

1 comment:

David Richardson said...

Oxford was premature - although Henry Herbert had petitioned to be allowed to remain at Wilton instead of serving his usual six months in Wales on account of his declining health, he rallied and remained in the post for another year befor his death on Jan 19, 1601. The Herberts were working to have the post bestowed on Robert Sidney and would have not have taken kindly to de Vere offering unquestioning support to Cecil in return for the office.