The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Monday, December 28, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil, May 11, 1601. [Spelling Modernized.]

Cecil Papers 182/23. Oxford to Cecil; 11 May 1601. [Click here for original spelling.]

I received this morning your message by H Loke, whereby I see you have not forgotten me to her Majesty, and so as it is much to my contentment, I protest to god not so much in that somewhat her Majesty does satisfy my desire, but that I find that assuredness in your kindness to me, with whom as we are straightly allied, there is no reason but I should make especial account of before all others, so am I glad moreover to find an especial friend constant and assured in your word, which thing I vow to god to acknowledge to you in all faith, kindness and love, and in whatsoever I may stand yow in stead which according to my estate now is little, but in good will very great I will with all alacrity and well-wishing perform, and this I both speak and write unto you from my heart. Wherefore as you have begun, so I most earnestly desire you to stick to me in this cause, for it is a thing whereof I make great 

account, and it is a friendship which you have done me above thanks, which I will freely impart to you at my coming to the Court, which I think shall be tomorrow by the grace of God. Until which time, as a hater of ceremonies I will refer all other thanks and observations which in me are as far from ordinary accomplishments, as my thankful acceptance of this your friendly and brotherly office is near my heart simple and unfeigned. I sent my man as H. Loke informed me unto yow that he might open somewhat more plainer the cause, the more you shall countenance him the more boldly and freely he will certify you. I will only now end wholly recommending my cause to your friendship, assuring you that there is nothing in the world that I esteem more or accept more kindle then your brotherly and friendly office which you at thy present 

undertake in my behalf. Tomorrow I hope to see you myself at the court where I will more frankly and freely declare myself. For today, although I thought to have come to you yet considering your manifold causes I think it best to forbear. In the mean season I rest your most thankful brother and assured friend


(signed) Edward Oxenford


Addressed (by Earl of Oxford): To my very well-beloved friend and brother Sir Robert Cecil, principal Secretary to her Majesty. [trace of seal]

Endorsed: xjmo Maij The Earle of Oxenford to my Master

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:



 

No comments: