The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, January 03, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; circa June 30, 1591. [Spelling Modernized.]

BL Lansdowne 68/11 (evidently cropped), Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; circa 30 June 1591. [Click here for original spelling.]


My very good Lord.

I do understand by Mr Foscue, your Lordship’s good disposition, and willingness to pleasure me, in this my cause, wherein being deceived by Hampton, whom I did put in trust to follow the matter, forsomuch as he was the deviser of the suit, I sought remedy to her majesty that I might have a new lease to perform the first intention of her grant. In this I did not doubt but to have ^had^ your Lordship’s favour, for that I was borne in hand by Hampton that I should have a better lease. But I do find his report was untrue, and your Lordship not advertised of my estate. Now therefore I have sent unto your Lordship a 

remembrance, whereby your Lordship may understand how I have been dealt with. And I hope there is no occasion given, but that your Lordship may both favour, and further, my matter as you have ever done, being rightly informed. Which being once ended as I doubt not by your Lordship’s good means, and her Majesty’s disposition to succor me at this time. As I desired of your Lordship by my letters when first this trouble began to break out, whilst her Majesty was at Theobalds, so I remain in every point to satisfy your Lordship, to your content and my quiet, which I hope by these few lines you will conceive. And I have included herein these notes as briefly as I may, which also I have sent unto her majesty for the better understanding 

how to give me remedy. Thus desiring your Lordship to favour me at this present as you have done in this suit and in others heretofore I will take my leave, remaining your Lordship’s

to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed: To the right honorable and his very good Lord the lord Treasurer of England give this.

Endorsed (by Burghley): Ultimo Junij 1591. Earl of Oxford for intent of Skinner’s land

 

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:



 

1 comment:

Adrien MEUNIER said...

I Heard many things about WS but this IS thé most outrageous one since there IS ni Way to understand his english. For further notice keep in mind that only Victor Hugo knew WS since he wrote his biographie with only his birthdate !