The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil, October 7, 1601. [Spelling Modernized.]

 

Cecil Papers 88/101, Oxford to Cecil; 7 October 1601. [Click here for original spelling.]


My very good Brother,

 

If my health had been to my mind I would have been before this at the Court, as well to have given you thanks for your presence, at the hearing of my cause debated as to have moved her Majesty for her resolution. As for the matter, how much I am beholding to you I need not repeat, but in all thankfulness acknowledge, for you have been the mover & only follower thereof for me, & by your only means, I have hitherto passed the pikes of so many adversaries. Now my desire is, since themselves who have opposed to her Majesty’s right seem satisfied, that you will make the end answerable, to the rest of your most 

friendly proceeding, for I am advised, that I may pass my Book from her Majesty, if a warrant may be procured to my cousin Bacon and Sergeant Harris to perfect it. Which being done, I know to whom formally to thank, but really they shall be, and are from me, and mine, to be sealed up in an eternal remembrance to yourself. And thus wishing all happiness to you, and some fortunate means to me, whereby I might recognize so deep merits, I take my leave this 7th of October from my House at Hackney. 1601.


 

Your most assured and loving Brother.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable & my very good Brother Sir Robert Cecil one of her Majesty’s privy Council and principal Secretary give this at the Court. [seal]

Endorsed: 1601 7 October: Earl of Oxenford to my Master.

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:



No comments: