The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil; January 1601 [1602 N.S.][Spelling modernized.].

Cecil Papers 181/99, Oxford to Cecil; January 1601 [1602 N.S.][Click here for original spelling.]


It is now almost a year since by the promises of your help and assistance, when the Escheat of Davers was found nothing for her Majesty 26 shillings excepted, that I did undertake to recover it. Now Brother I do not by these letters make challenge of your words, for if you list to forget them, my putting in remembrance will be bitter, and to small purpose. Only this now is mine intention not to tell any new thing, but that which is already known, unto you. The matter after it had received many crosses, many inventions of delay, yet at length, has been hard before all the Judges, Judges I say both unlawful, and lawful, for so may I affirm since Walmsle who had matched in the house of Davers, besides some other, were admitted to the deciding of the cause, notwithstanding long since I did except against him, and it was then thought reasonable. But now time, and truth, have 


unmasked all difficulties, and I do understand, the judges are, if they will be indifferent, to make a good report to her Majesty. Yet I know not by what unfortunate star, there are so many disposed to withstand it, as the truth, much oppressed by the friends of the contrary part[y], is likely if not wholly to be defaced, yet so extenuated, as the vertue thereof will be of little effect. Now for so much, as I understand it is meant to delay the report to the end, to get a composition of her Majesty and so to bring all my hope in her Majesty’s gracious words to smoke, I am earnestly to solicit her, to call for the report, which I should not have needed to do, if gospel had been in the mouths of the Lord chief Justice and the Attorny, who did assure me that at the next hearing, which then was appointed the second day of this term it should have a full end. Now the matter depending in this sort, I find my state weak and destitute of friends for having only relied always on her Majesty, I have neglected to seek others, and this trust of mine, many things considered, I fear may deceive me. Another confidence I had in yourself, in whom, without offence let me speak it, I am to cast some doubt, by reason, as in your last letters I found a wavering style much differing from your former assurances, I fear now to be left in medio rerum omnium certamine et discrimine. Which if it so fall out, I shall bear it by the grace of god, with an equal mynd, since time and experience have given me sufficient understanding of worldly frailty. But I hope better, though I cast the worse, howsoever for finis coronat opus. And then everything will be laid open, every doubt resolved into a plain sense. In the mean season, I now at the last, for now is the time, crave this brotherly friendship, that as yow began it for me with all kindness, so that you will continue in the same affection to end it. and so I will end, these things only desiring you to remember, that you may know I do not forget, how honorably you dealt with her Majesty at what time you first moved her, showing how out of nothing to her, for so in manner it was found, if by mine industry I could of this nothing make something, she should yet give a prop and stay to my house. Again I know and well perceive how that this Escheat of Davers 


shall be made a great matter, to cross my good hap and to obscure the rest of the lands which descend from the mother on Latimer side, to her Majesty which is as clear her Majesty’s as this. Last of all I shall desire you to remember that I craved of this Escheat only what I could recover in Wilshire and Gloucestershire. Leaving to her Majesty the lands of Oxford, Leicester, Northampton and Yorkshire, which is of much more value. In the beginning the whole was thought desperate, and yet you shall see now the law to be clear of the Queen’s side, notwithstanding it has endured all the crosses that can be possible, yea moreover I will say to you that I must inform, this case has opened her right to a far greater Matter, then this of Davers, if her Majesty’s right and interest be not cunningly suppressed, and therefore I hope her Majesty after so many gracious words which she gave me at Greenwich upon her departure exceeding this which I expect, will not now draw in the beams of her princely grace to my discouragement and her own detriment. Neither will I conceive otherwise of your virtue and affection towards me now at the end, then I apprehended all good ^hope^ and kindness from you in the beginning. Thus with a lame hand, to write I take my leave, but with a mind well-disposed to hope the best of my friends, until otherwise I find them. which I fear nothing at all, assuring myself your words and deeds dwell not asunder.

 

Your Loving Brother in Law

 

(signed) Edward Oxenford

 

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To my very well beloved Brother in Law Sir Robert Cecil of her Majesty’s privy council and principal Secretary. [seal]

 

Endorsed: January (blank) 1601 [=1602]; The Earl of Oxford to my Master

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  

 

 

 

No comments: