The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil; June 12, 1603. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 100/93, Earl of Oxford to Sir Robert Cecil; 12 June 1603. [Click here for original spelling.]


My very good L[ord] I know that you are so charged with public affairs, that you can have little leisure or none at all, to undertake a private cause, especially concerning another. This therefore which you do for me I do conceive it in your particular favour, and so I take it and you shall find me therefore ever thankful. This shall be therefore to desire your L[ordship] that with my very good L[ord] and friend my L[ord] Admiral, that you will procure me a full end, of this suit wherein I have spent so long a time, and passed the greatest part of my age.  The cause is right, the king Just, and I do not doubt but your L[ordship]s both my honorable friends, according to your words I shall find you in deeds therefore in a full confidence of your L[ordship]s’ most friendly favours, I will leave to hinder your more serious businesses. This 12 of June.

Your L[ordship]s’ most assured friend and Brother-in-Law

 

(signed) Edward Oxenforde. (knot)

 

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the ryght honorable my very good Lord the Lord of Essendon. [seal torn away]

 

Endorsed: 12 June 1603. Earl of Oxenford to my Lord.

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  

 

 

 

 

No comments: