The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; March 20, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 170/126, Oxford to Burghley; 20 March 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My very good Lord

Upon your message unto me by your servant Hickes, I received no small comfort, that God putting into your heart to favour and assist me in my suites to her Majesty after a long travail and doubtful labor, I might obtain some end to my contentment. Wherefore I most earnestly, and heartily desire your Lordship to have a feeling of my unfortunate estate, which although it be far unfit to endure delays, yet have consumed four or five years, in a flattering hope of idle words. But now having received this comfortable message of furtherance & favour from Lordship although her majesty, be forgetful of herself, yet by such a good mean, I do not doubt, if you list but that I may receive some fruit of all my travail.

This last year past I have bene a suiter to her Majesty that I might farm her Tins, giving 3000l a year more than she had made. If I had not done this, there were which thought to have had it for a thousand marks a year. I persevered, and if I would have given it over to such, I might have been recompensed to my content. But for that I did not a show has bene made to her Majesty of 10 thousand pounds of year, only determining thereby, to stop her Majesty from harking to my suite, and so to wear me out thereof, which being compassed, to bring it to there first point or at the least to an easier rent, they demanded 30 or 40 thousand pounds, to be lent them for one year, which they thought her Majesty would absolutely refuse. And so having color to break of all, and myself forgotten it might be, and as they thought most likely, her Majesty would yield and be brought to be contented with a small sum, or at the most with so much as I had offered. Thus I was to have beaten the bush, whilst another holding the net, had taken the bird.

But as I perceive, a rude copy of mine, altogether undigested, came to her Majesty’s hands, whereby she is not so discouraged as they have made their account. This copy as I perceive your Lordship has seen. Yet I am sure, although you may discern some lights of reasonable matter, it is so ill ^appearing^ as it will rather encumber you, then comfort yow of any possibility.

Yet understanding thus much by your servant Hickes, I framed one other plot, which for that the other stood all upon likelihoods, & probabilities, might upon a more assured ground be built, if her Majesty any kind of way can be persuaded to disburse forth her money. For whereas that for which was demanded 40tie or 30tie thousand pounds, stood altogether upon conjectures, this did only rely upon that which was certain & what was by her majesty’s information of the year past certified in her rates how it might be made with a far smaller some of money laid out, and so what difference is between doubt and certainty between a great cost and lesser charge that difference is apparent between that imperfect note and that I last sent your Lordship.

But if it be so that her Majesty likes a way whereby she shall lay forth no money & can be contented to have those revenues which already are made to be lifted up and increased to ten thousand pound by year.

Then I have discovered such a one as if your Lordship like thereof, I will be glad to do her Majesty service therein, & so to proceed as I shall be encouraged by you.

And this it is. Those merchants which first set me on work, will give her Majesty four thousand pound a year advancement of rent in her custom, if she will grant me the farm thereof, and to me a fifth part. They are to lay out in stock 20 thousand pound. I only bearing but the name of the suite, lay out never a penny but have as is said a fifth part. This fifth part is assured me to be 2000l which indeed although I seem to receive at their hands, yet it shall run into her Majesty’s coffers. So that here is 6000l for her Majesty without laying forth one penny & I dare undertake presently to be performed, so that this 6000l added to the 3283l wants but little of 10 thousand, to make up which if it shall pleas her Majesty to grant my suite for the license of transportation, I am to give her 500l more, and will what I can strain myself to make it up full 10 thousand  which is some 200 or 300l more.

Also for your Lordship’s furtherance of my suite concerning the license for the transportation of Tin and, according to the statute, which defends none to be carried out of the Realm without license unless it be to Calais etc., I will assure your lordship towards the help of my daughter’s marriage, or otherwise as it shall pleas your Lordship to assign, to pay yearly where and to whom you shall appoint 500l.

And if her Majesty sees that the other ways are all intricate and troublesome then she may be assured of this last way to be presently performed, & it is without trouble, to her Majesty or laying out any money, to take this course last set down. And although the Merchant is to be thought thereby to gain, yet it is to be considered the some of money which he must lay out, the hazard of the times, of war of peace whereto he must stand, the doubt whither the Mines will continue their proportion or no. And what he does gain, her Majesty shall always be able to look into by my fifth, whereof though I bear the name yet ^it^ is hers. Thus desiring pardon for my earnest and long writing, I commit your Lordship to the Almighty. This 20tie of Marche. Your Lordship’s always to

Command.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable and his very good lord the Lord Treasurer of England [seal]

Endorsed: 20 March 1594; The Earl of Oxford to my Lord; Tin.

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

No comments: