The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; April 1, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/68, Oxford to Burghley; 1 April 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My very good lord,

As I promised your Lordship to send a resolute answer, so now being fully furnished for the same, I beseech your Lordship that you will persevere in your favour towards me and for the matter, thus I do advertise your Lordship That I will make up the custom which already her Majesty has, that is as I perceive 3000 and odd pounds 10 thousand, & for her assurance to put in such Merchants as among these here named, and some others, which I shall hereafter nominate, your Lordship shall choose, and think most sufficient. Thus most earnestly desiring your Lordship’s favour, I do crave her Majesty’s resolution, for that I knowing the same may [have] the assurance the sooner, for some of these I must send for which are in the Country, but ready whensoever I shall give them word to be here within 9 or 10 days.

Your Lordship’s to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

The Names of the parties.

Robertes
Tayler
Somes
Smythe of Exceter
Stapers
Cacher
Moode
Glover and all those which are the usual Merchants for the tin, and that are customers to the Tinners. Whereby their needs [be] no loss of Coinage by clearing the same, for these be the same that have already paid for their Tin, & to whom the Tinners are indebted, wherefore the sooner I may know her Majesty’s good pleasure by your Lordships favour, the sooner I shall be able to give assurance which is necessary lest her Majesty lose this Coinage which is next to come, the best in all the year.

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable & his very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England. [seal]

Endorsed (in Burghley’s hand): primo Aprilis. 1595; Earl of Oxford Tin work

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 

No comments: