The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, April 17, 2021

Earl of Oxford to Michael Hicks; March 28, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/54, Oxford to Mr. Hicks; 28 March 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

Good Mr Hykes.

Whearas I was determined to have visited my Lord at his house, I do now understand that his Lordship is removed to the Court. And for that I am not able nor fit to look into that place, being yet no better recovered, if it shall please ^his^ Lordship at his best leisure to take so much pains, as to look into my daughter Derby’s house or mine, I hope so to satisfy his Lordship as touching this matter of the Tin’s that he shall think it for her Majesty’s contentment. For whereas I perceive my Lord doubts that I shall not be able to find out the 16 hundred thousand, I am ^now^ very well assured, that there is every year brought from the mines, 4050 

Blocks according to the last paper I sent him. and those contain 18 hundred thousand l weight. As for the 40 hundred thousand, thereof what to think, I will refer it to his Lordship’s conceit, when I have showed him such Intelligences, as I here have sent you to show his Lordship and I do not doubt but to perform this 18 hundred thousand pound weight fully to her Majesty in the mean while. And to make up her custom which is now about 300l to the full sum of 10 thousand, without that she shall have cause to lay out one farthing. Thus desiring you to remember my Lord for me and to show him this paper which I have sent you I bid yow heartily farewell. from Bishopesgate this present morning.

Your Assured friend.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To his very well beloved friend Mr Hykes give this at my Lord Treasurers lodging at the Court. [seal]

Endorsed (in Burghley’s hand): 28 March 1595; Earl of Oxford

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 

No comments: