The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, April 10, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; March 28, 1595. [Spelling Modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/52, Oxford to Burghley; 28 March 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]


My very good Lord.

I do fully perceive how much I am bound unto your Lordship wherefore I am sorry that the shortness of the time this day which I had with your Lordship and the presence of the Alderman made me to forbear somethings of importance in this matter of the Tins. It is true that I have found the Lord of Buckhurst to have dealt with me very strangely, and otherwise, then till this experience, had of his disposition, I would have believed, or otherwise suspected. But In effect I should have assured your Lordship that I have not ignorantly or rashly entered into this suit, for a license of transportation, but upon the solicitation of Mr. Carmarden, and the conference of such as have had long experience in Tyne matters. He I say is the only man that set me in hand with this suit, & by whom I had the first light of the great quantity of Tins whereof her Majesty is yearly deceived in her Custom. Wherefore accordingly I have of long time so well as I could by writing and sending made all the means I could to her Majesty that by that ways I might both do her majesty service and myself pleasure, which thing Carmarden would have done himself if the fears of some counselors 

whereof one I have named did not discourage him. wherefore what he durst not enter into himself, that has he from time to time encouraged me, showing me the small matter which is yearly answered to her Majesty as your Lordship may perceive in my notes which is agreeable with that of his the last year, for mine were taken out of his. And assure your Lordship if her Majesty will but give me leisure to agree with them that have set me on, and to make my bargains with them, I do not doubt but to bring very shortly good assurance to your Lordship for her Majesty to perform so much as I have promised. I have already agreed with some, and I only stay but to finish with the rest that what they shall pay to me to turn their bonds to your Lordship for her Majesty’s assurance granting me the suit.

It is true that my gains shall be very little or nothing yet since my Lord of Buckhurst has so hardly dealt with me as I will inform your Lordship whensoever I shall have opportunity therefore I rather will content myself with nothing and make up the sum I have promised than he should effect his cross, and overthwart [= cross purpose] towards me.

But I did always take, that he would have given 7 thousand l more than her majesty yet had, and that made me offer the more which by god’s grace I mean to perform. But considering he is fallen 3000l of that account if I may be therefore spared, my gain will be something, and whereas he brings it to 7000l, if I may have it for 8000l, which is a thousand l more then I shall not be so much afraid of the decay of the Mines, nor of the self-will of the People and such fears as are not forecast in vain.

Yet if her Majesty will have the uttermost rather than be thus put out I do not doubt but to answer in all respects my promise. So that I may be assured none shall have it from me and that I have some small time given me to make an end of those agreements whereof some I have already finished. Thus to inform your Lordship that which I forgot today I fear I am too long.

Your Lordship’s to Command.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable & my very good Lord my Lord Treasurer of England.

Endorsed (in Burghley’s hand): 28 March 1595; Earl of Oxford

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 

No comments: