The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, April 04, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; March 25, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/45, Oxford to Burghley; 25 March 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]


My very good Lord,

To set down that which should be fit for your satisfaction, would require a long writing, which should be too cumbersome, at this present. And moreover I would gladly deliver my knowledge of the quantity of Tin by mouth, for that I think it not convenient by letter. Wherefore when your Lordship shall have best time and leisure if I may know it I will attend your Lordship as well as a lame man may at your house.

Those articles of my Lord of Buckhurst’s offer I have already answered in my last letter. Yet for more assurance I have sent my answer again, unto every point.

And whereas it has been said as I understand that he was the first that moved this suite, I confess that he was the first that dealt in it to cozen her Majesty but not to profit her, as at my coming to your Lordship I will fully satisfy you.

For the 40 hundred thousand lb. weight of Tin, if he had put in 60 hundred and 70 hundred thousand yet I was the first as I can prove by good testimony that gave her Majesty warning to look well thereto before she made any grant, and gave inkling of those sums.

And at what times he made his offer of 10 thousand pounds ^custom^ and now the 40 hundred thousand lb. weight, when I shall have speech with your Lordship yow will judge thereof a great deal better.

Wherefore least I trouble your Lordship I most heartily thank you for your most honorable dealing towards me, and earnestly crave that your Lordship will not suffer this matter so swiftly and hastily to pass, till I have fully advertised your Lordship of my knowledge of the 40 hundred thousand pound weight. And what other means I know necessary for her Majesty to compass her intent, and without which being known, it will be overthrown, and prove nothing to that which her Majesty expects and I do wish.

Your Lordship’s to Command.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable & his very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England.

Endorsed: 25 Mart. 1595; Earl Oxford Tin works

 

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  


No comments: