The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Monday, May 03, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; April 9, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/79, Oxford to Burghley; 9 April 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My very good Lord.

I have labored so much as I could possibly to advance her Majesty’s Customs of Tin, and had performed it if my undertakers had kept promise with me, on Monday last to have set to their names with their own hands to the Bargain. But through the cunning dealing of some, they are dissuaded, and I cannot bring them bake again to their former purpose. Wherefore if your Lordship think, my Lord of Buckhurst have undertakers, I think it best for her majesty to take that course which is best for her service. But I doubt our merchants were all one, & that he will find them as backward now to him. For I see, and I believe your Lordship shall find it true, that the Turkey company have so packed, that her Majesty’s

intention will find no issue. Never the less when your Lordship has made trial of all, if it shall please her Majesty to employ my service I will use all diligence, to further her profit.

And if it so happen that my Lord of Buckhurst be able to bring forth undertakers, which I do not believe, yet whereas I was the first that offered 3000l to her majesty when as there was but a 1000 marks proffered by others, and thereby was an occasion, to cause her Majesty to stay until she was better advertised I desire your Lordship yet to further my suit for the transportation, whereby I shall advance her Majesty a 1000l by year more then she has.

The great matter I have followed ever with a mind to bring all the profit thereof to her Majesty And brought it on so far, as the undertakers as I have said were ready to set down their hands, yet so dissuaded by certain persons which they have named unto me, that they have like merchants gone from their word and promise.

Your Lordship’s to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable and his very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England. [seal]

Endorsed (in Burghley’s hand): 9 April 1595; Earl of Oxford; his Merchants have gone back

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  


No comments: