The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Monday, May 10, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; April 13, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/83, Oxford to Burghley; 13 April 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My very good Lord.

I do not know how my Lord of Buckhurst does proceed with her Majesty for that which she expects to be made of her Tin. But it may be, that it falls out, as I have thought, that he would as hardly bring in his undertakers as myself, which if it be so, & her Majesty, and your Lordship will like of this which I do here write, I will neglect no diligence that may do her majesty service.

The undertakers are to be either those which have already the trade in their hands, or such strangers as upon good consideration will be soon willing to farm so good a commodity.

When they which are now the present engrossers did verily think that her majesty would have nominated me to the farm of this commodity then lest I should agree with other strangers, I found determined to agree with me, saying they rather would command then be commanded. But when they found that her Majesty stood in suspense, and that my Lord of Buckhurst was to have it at a lower rate than myself, then they hung off, from both, for they said if we agree with any of them before it be granted, they must accept conditions such as we shall give them. If we stand out until it be granted, then for that they must pay so great a rent to her Majesty they must of necessity seek us, whereby we shall be able to make our bargain as we list.

Another occasion which is an especial let to her Majesty’s purpose is, that there is a suit which hath bene of long time motioned, for the pewterers, that they might have a second melting and casting of the Tin into Bars. This suit, by reason so many rivers run out of it, has many friends, and all these are enemies to the great matter, for, say they, it swallows this up.

But this suit, if her Majesty does grant it, is called a little suit, but so little it is as whosoever shall undertake the great, loses 3 or 4 thousand pounds a year thereby. Then how is it possible that they can give so much to her Majesty as she looks for.

First seeing they must lay out 40 thousand l stock, and then pay to her Majesty four thousand pound, moreover then her Custom, further to him who shall obtain the farm some 2 or 3 thousand. This they cannot perform, if her Majesty shall pass before or except hereafter the suit of the Pewterers.

But if it will please her Majesty to nominate me, for the Preemption and transportation, and be content to give me time, to make my Bargain, that they shall not see that I am constrained by necessity to depend upon them, and to make a hasty bargain, I do not doubt only to get her Majesty the 4 thousand pound which is offered, but to get for myself 2 or 3 thousand pound more, which to compass in her Majesty’s name, I find by no means they will be brought, and as it seems they allege great reason therefore.

And if they give me assurance, afterward when the same shall be turned over to her Majesty, they being already bound cannot refuse it.

And further it is to be thought if in the little suit of Bars they can provide for themselves so well, they may be as good husbands to her Majesty in the great.

Also since the Merchants have dealt so frowardly to cross her Majesty, if it shall please her upon the grant to me to deal somewhat roughly with them, in the matter of transportation, for that they cannot and ought not to transport but to Calais, and now in this month and next when they have laded their tin, to make a stay, as a thing forfeited, it will make them the more greedy to come to Composition. this 13th of April 1595.

Your Lordship’s to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable and my very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England. [seal]

Endorsed: 13. April 1595; Earl of Oxford

 


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 

No comments: