The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; April 17, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/93, Oxford to Burghley; 17 April 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My very good Lord,

I have asked Mr. Alderman Cacher whither he delivered any such speech or no, to my Lord of Buckhurst, as that I should show him a letter from your Lordship wherein I was promised this suit of the Tin before him. He protests the contrary & I do believe him, for that I assure your Lordship I neither showed him or any other, any letter of yours. Nevertheless the Lord of Buckhurst he does fear to become his heavy Lord, for that he has charged him, how he should be the man that gave me information first of this suit, whereby as he takes it, that he has been greatly hindered.

But as for Carmarden I do find that he has not a little doubled with me, by divers actions of his, & manifest dealings. For whereas I sent him too your Lordship, to confirm that which I had undertaken, which was true, yet as I perceive he performed not what he promised. Also whereas he told your Lordship as I perceived by your letter, that he had talked with me, and the Alderman concerning the quantity, both 

the Alderman and myself can assure your Lordship he spake not one word to us thereof. But excusing himself that he had not dealt so liberally with your Lordship as he was determined, after his departure from me he persuaded the Alderman to move me to join with my Lord of Buckhurst, and divers other speeches, which tended to his mislike that the Customers & officers of her Majesty should be looked into, and for his part if it should go forward it was out of his way a hundred pounds a year. Wherefore he would wish it rather to stand as it did, then to proceed. By these dealings and many other, I do find, that he has been no small hinderer.

Thus much I thought necessary to inform your Lordship both in the Alderman’s behalf and my own, for your satisfaction. As concerning the suit that which I did was not my suit, but to further her Majesty’s service. Wherein if I failed was not my fault of diligence, but the merchants who first gave their promise, and then brake it. And whereas I desired that the suit should pass in my name, was not thereby to have gained, but to have raised the rent, the more to her majesty. All which things since they have not succeeded, have not been any want of goodwill in me, but want of credit from her Majesty.

Wherefore as in the beginning I had your Lordship’s promise to further me in my suit concerning the transportation of Tin & Lead, imposing there one a crown or noble the hundred or [further?], so still do I desire your Lordship to persevere if it may stand with your liking , & that my Lord of Buckhurst deals no farther, as he gives out himself. this 17 of April Anno 1595.

Your Lordship’s to Command.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable and his very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England. [seal]

Endorsed (B): 17 April 1595; Earl oxford; Tin

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 

 

 

No comments: