The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Monday, May 31, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; June 13, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

PRO SP12/252[/69], ff. 133-4, Oxford to Burghley; 13 June 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My good Lord.

Although I doubt that Middleton’s will be ready to return before any other can now arrive to the place, where he is yet since I have engaged myself so far in her Majesty’s service, to bring the truth too light, although some cause I have hade, to discourage me to proceed further in this [matter], yet I would be glad, that Alderman Catcher might have warrant to join with Middleton, for my own satisfaction, who although some have reported him simple, yet I have found honest. And whether I direct him, I know he will both speedily go, and effectually and honestly perform, what is to be expected & what I most earnestly in her Majesty’s service desire. this 13 June 1595.

Your Lordship’s to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable and his good Lord my lord Treasurer of England.

Endorsed (in Burghley’s hand): 13 June 1595. Earl Oxford. Alderman Catcher.

 

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 


 

No comments: