The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; August 7, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

PRO SP12/253/60,  ff. 100-1, Oxford to Burghley; 7 August 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My very good Lord I have received your letters touching Middleton’s return, and also of the Lord of Buckhurst renewing of his suit.

For Middleton’s report, he has not differed much from that I have already informed her Majesty: only this I consider that this year is more plentiful for the Tin than has been this forty years before, & that it seems, contrary to former objections that the Mines rather increase than diminish their portion, & Middleton has not yet informed nor shall be able till the next coinage, the full quantity.

For my Lord of Buckhurst, he does not yet arrive to the proffer which I have made to her Majesty: which she shall better perceive by perusing my notes of information, since by the Agency, dealing for the half, my undertakers are to pay five thousand pound yearly & certain. And if the Lord of Buckhurst with his Agents will join for the other half, he nor they by my offer are excluded, so that the whole to her Majesty ought to be made ten thousand pounds by year, wherefore his offer is not so profitable for her Majesty as mine.

Besides the Lord of Buckhurst persists still in a course whereby her Majesty is much hindered. That is he practices still my Agents, by devises, and by open benefits, to cause them to give me over he draws them not from me, but from her Majesty.

It is but since Tuesday at […] night last at [...]e of the clock, he sent to speak with Alderman Cacher, who came unto him the next morning, where the Lord of Buckhurst told him that in his suit of the Tin he had much crossed him wishing he had given him a 1000l he had not dealt with me, and further if he would draw away his friends, he was assured I could not but fail in undertakers, which thing if he would undertake for recompense he offered him a 1000l worth of Tin, for 20l the thousand.

By this dealing I find that I have all this while mistaken ye Lord of Buckhurst whom I thought that he had dealt only for her Majesty’s profit, as before he sent me word by one Bullman, encouraging me to proceed, in this service & he would the like for his part endeavour the same.

But this dealing conferred with the like, when he practiced Carmarthen from me and by one Haales, the rest of the undertakers, whose names I sent your Lordship the contrary does appear.

Also so long as it shall be held a firm opinion, that the Lord of Buckhurst shall have the suit upon easier conditions then myself it is hard for me to make it so commodious as indeed otherways [=otherwise] I may. For who in reason, will give ten, when they know her Majesty will be satisfied with a much inferior sum.

There is great difference between my offer & ye Lord of Buckhurst both in certainty and uncertainty for in the certainty mine is ten thousand pound a year, and in uncertainty as the quantity of Tin rises as it does this year, and as the merchants shall find it prosperous to themselves, so her Majesty parting half with them of their gains to increase her proportion, which as my notes plainly set down may happen to be 20 thousand pound some year, from which good hap, besides the surplus in the 10 thousand pound by year her Majesty does bar herself, by granting it absolutely to the Lord of Buckhurst for seven thousand six hundred pound a year.

My absence from the City takes away the commodity which else I might have in more speedy answering of your Lordship. But I do not doubt, if I may have her Majesty’s indifferent countenance in the matter, but to make all good that I have informed her. Although by such dealings as I have afore set down, and others which I reserve to a fitter time, I say not I, but her Majesty has bene greatly hindered.

I beseech your Lordship that in this her Majesty’s service, wherein I have labored so long, that you will stand indifferent between the Lord of Buckhurst and me, and so much the rather to yield me your favour, by how much you shall see it is more for her Majesty’s profit.

I most heartily thank your Lordship for your desire to know of my health which is not so good, yet as I wish it, I find comfort in this air, but no fortune at the Court.

I hope your Lordship has your health and I shall be glad to hear thereof, and this one thing I have to inform your Lordship before I make an end, and that is at my coming hither from Charing Cross, the Earle of Derby, was very earnest that he might assure a thousand pound a year for my daughter’s [...]^finding ^ adding farther that he marveled that Sir Robert Cecil her uncle & I her father were so slack to call upon it. Wherefore I shall desire your Lordship as you shall choose best time, that something may be done therein, my daughter, has put her trust in me, both to remember your Lordship and her husband wherefore I would be glad, that some certainty were effected to her mind. Byfleet. This 7 of August, 1595.

Your Lordship’s ever to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable my very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England. [seal]

Endorsed (in Burghley’s hand): 7 August 1595; The Earl of Oxford. Answer to Middleton’s certificate for the tin works

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 


 

 

No comments: