The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, March 14, 1596. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 31/11, Oxford to Burghley; 14 March 1596. 
[Click here for original spelling.]


My very good Lord,

Whereas in my late notes I sent unto you concerning the preemption of Tin, I understand that there are some points whereof you would be satisfied. And for that, I am ignorant what they be, I know not how to do the same, unless it would please your Lordship by some means as you shall think best to notify them unto me.

And whereas I received a most favorable message from your Lordship by your servant Hicks this shall be to desire the continuance of so good ^an^ intention to further my suit unto her Majesty, who although I find of herself to have oftentimes sundry good motions, and dispositions to do me good, yet for want of such a friend as your lordship, that may settle her inclination to a full effect, I perceive all my hopes but fucate, and my haps to wither in the herb. But now settling an assured confidence in your Lordships proffered help, and of me, most earnestly, at this time desired, hereafter I will expect, a more fruitful harvest, of my long labor, putting my trust wholly in your lordship, whose honorable intention towards me I pray god to continue, and to give me hereafter means to acknowledge, according to your merit, and my desire. This present the 14 of March 1595.

Your Lordship’s to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable & his very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England. [seal]

Endorsed (in Burghley’s hand): 14 Martij; Earl of Oxford; Tin

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:


 

 

No comments: