The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Baron Burghley to Sir Christopher Hatton, March 12, 1582 [O.S.]

At the time of this letter, Edward de Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford, was living beyond even his means in more ways than one. He was selling his lands to maintain a ruinous lifestyle. Estranged from his wife, he had been having an affair with one of Queen Elizabeth’s Ladies-in-Waiting, Anne Vavasour. While he was turning-in a number of his thitherto friends for being crypto-Catholics, Anne was managing to hide a pregnancy beneath bulky gowns.

I describe all of this, at considerable length, in my Edward De Vere was Shake-speare: at long last, the proof. The lovers could see that disaster was looming. All came to a head on March 21, 1581 [O.S.].

134.  When Vavasour delivered a son, in March of the year, concealment was no longer possible.[1]

They had made a plan to escape to Spain but it never came to fruition. Vavasour was sent to The Tower. Edward went into hiding.

The following letter shows Elizabeth’s Vice-Chamberlain, Christopher Hatton, to have been an ally of Edward’s father-in-law, Baron Burghley, if not necessarily of Oxford himself. Only hinted at, however, The Earl of Leicester appears to have taken advantage of the opportunity to  undermine De Vere in every private way. His provocations of the family of Anne Vavasour bore fruit the next year.

144. …On February 21st, Oxford and servants accompanying him were set upon by Thomas Knyvet, Gentleman to the Privy Chamber and uncle to Anne Vavasour, and his retainers.  The place of the attack is not recorded but it was probably in London.  Both Knyvet and Oxford were injured — the Earl more seriously.[2]

The following letter provides a good deal of our available information about the event.

LORD BURGHLEY TO SIR CHRISTOPHER HATTON.

Good Mr. Vice-Chamberlain, My lack of health and strength serveth me not to write as much as I have cause; but yet many urgent necessities constrain me to write somewhat for ease of my mind, which I pray you to interpret after your friendly manner.

I perceived yesterday by my Lord of Leicester that you had very friendly delivered speeches to her Majesty tending to bring some good end to these troublesome matters betwixt my Lord of Oxford and Mr. Thomas Knyvet; for the which your doings I do heartily thank you, and beseech you to continue your former good meaning, though the event expected and desired hath not followed.

And now perceiving by my Lord of Leicester some increase of her Majesty's offence towards my Lord of Oxford, and finding by Mr. Thomas Knyvet that he only being called and demanded of her Majesty what he would say herein, he did, as served his turn, declare to her Majesty that his men were evil used by my Lord of Oxford's men, and namely that one of his men was killed by a man of my Lord of Oxford's, and no redress had, I cannot but think that her Majesty had just occasion given by such an information to be offended towards my Lord of Oxford, or his man, and did therefore, like a Prince of justice and God's minister, command the matter to be examined, which was done yesterday at great length by my Lord of Leicester, to his trouble and my grief; and I doubt not but my Lord of Leicester will honourably declare to her Majesty how my Lord of Oxford resteth untouched, or at least unblotted, in any kind of matter objected by Mr. Knyvet, whom we heard at great length, and his men also. But because Mr. Knyvet's man, called Long Tom, that once served and was maintained by my Lord of Oxford, a bad fellow to serve any honest man, came to his death, I am bold to send to you the inquisition before the Coroner of London, with the verdict of the jury and the depositions of the ocular witnesses; by all which, and by a new acquittal at Newgate, Gastrell, the party named my Lord of Oxford's man, and yet was not then his man, nor yet is, though Mr. Knyvet report him so to be, was and standeth acquitted of the death of the said Long Thomas; so as, where her Majesty had just cause to conceive somewhat hardly of my Lord of Oxford, I doubt not but when her Majesty shall be informed by my Lord of Leicester of the truth which he hath seen and not disproved, her Majesty will diminish her offensive opinion : and I trust also, after you shall have read these writings, which I will on my credit avow to be true, you will be of the same mind, and, as opportunity may serve, will also move her Majesty in this case to think otherwise hereof than the informer meant to induce her to think.

As to the rest of the brabbles and frays, my Lord of Leicester can also declare upon what small occasions of repute and light carriages of tales, whereof my Lord of Oxford is nowise touched, these brabbles are risen. And for the quarrel of one Roper, of the Guards, against Gastrell, my Lord of Oxford's man, it is confessed that Roper challenged Gastrell that he had complained of him; whereas in truth yourself knoweth it was my Lord of Oxford that did complain to you of Roper and of one Hall, so as Roper was therein too busy. And hereupon he wrote a long epistle to Gastrell to challenge him to fight, and so also Costock made the like challenge, whereby appeareth that these frays grow by challenges made to my Lord of Oxford's men : and yet it must be informed that my Lord of Oxford's men do offer these frays. [Cont'd>>>]

Page>>> -1-  -2-  Next




[1] Purdy, Gilbert Wesley. Edward De Vere was Shake-speare: at long last, the proof (2013, 2017). 134.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/1543136257/ 

[2] Ibid. 144.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

No comments: