The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Friday, June 02, 2023

Letter: John Lyly to Baron Burghley, July 1582. [Spelling Modernized]

Source: Bond, Warwick. The Complete Works of John Lyly. I.28-9. [Click here for original spelling.]

John Lyly was perhaps the most influential writer, in English, of the second half of the 16th century. He was a cousin of William Cecil, Baron Burghley, the Lord High Treasurer under Elizabeth I and father-in-law of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, with whom he calls upon the Baron to intercede.

Lyly's Euphues. the Anatomy Of Wit had already been published in 1579 and his Euphues and His England the next year. Both were #1 best sellers. At the time of this letter, Lyly had written the most celebrated prose works of his times. Euphuism would inform many of the finest English works for over a decade to come, including those of Shakespeare.

He had probably become a private secretary to Oxford shortly after the publication of the first book. The second had been dedicated:

To the Right Honourable my

very good Lorde and Maister, Edward de Vere,

Earle of Oxenforde, Vicount Bulbeck, Lorde of

Escales and Badlesmere, and Lorde great

Chamberlaine of England, lohn Lyly

wisheth long lyfe, with encrease

of Honour.


It is endorsed,” says Warwick Bond, “presumably by Burleigh's secretary, 'Julij 1582, John Lilly to my L.', and superscribed”:


To ye right honorable, ye L[ord] Burleigh, L[ord] high Treasurer of England.

My duty (right honorable) in most humble manner remembered. It hath pleased my Lord upon what colour I cannot tell, certain I am upon no cause, to be displeased with me, ye grief whereof is more then the loss can be. But seeing I am to live in ye world, I must also be judged by the world, for that an honest servant must be such as Caesar would have his wife not only free from sin, but from suspicion. And for that I wish nothing more than to commit all my ways to your wisdom, and the devises of others to your judgment, I here yield both my self and my soul, the one to be tried by your honor, the other by the justice of god. and I doubt not but my dealings being sifted, the world shall find white meal, where others thought to show coarse bran. It may be many things will be objected, but that any thing can be proved I doubt, I know your L[ordship] will soon smell devises from simplicity, truth from treachery, factions from just service. And god is my witness, before whom I speak, and before whom for my speech I shall answer, that all my thoughts concerning my L[ord] have been ever reverent, and almost religious. How I have dealt god knoweth and my Lady can conjecture, so faithfully, as I am as unspotted for dishonesty, as a suckling from theft. This conscience of mine maketh me presume to stand to all trials, either of accounts, or counsel, in the one I never used falsehood, nor in the other dissembling, my most humble suit therefore unto your L[ordship] is that my accusations be not smothered and I choked in the smoke, but that they may be tried in the fire, and I will stand to the heat. And my only comfort is, that he that is wise shall judge truth, whose nakedness shall manifest her nobleness. But I will not trouble your honorable ears with so many idle words only this upon my knees I ask, that yor L[ordship] will vouchsafe to talk with me, and in all things will I show myself so

honest, that my disgrace shall bring to your L[ordship] as great marvel, as it hath done to me grief, and so thoroughly will I satisfy every objection, that your L[ordship] shall think me faithful, though unfortunate. That your honor rest persuaded of mine honest mind, and my Lady of my true service, that all things may be tried to ye uttermost, is my desire, and the only reward I crave for my just, (aye, just I dare term it) service. And thus in all humility submitting my Cause to your wisdom and my Conscience to ye trial. I commit your L. to the Almghty.

Your L[ordship's] most dutifully to command

Jhon Lyly.

for that I am for some few days going into the country, if your L[ordship] be not at leisure to admit me to your speech, at my return I will give my most dutiful attendance, at which time, it may be my honesty may join with your L[ordship's] wisdom and both prevent, that [which] neither, would allow. In the mean season what color soever be alleged, if I be not honest to my L[ord] and so mean to be during his pleasure, I desire but yor L[ordship's] secret opinion, for as I know my L[ordship] to be most honorable, so I beseech god in time he be not abused. Loath I am to be a prophet, and to be a wiche[?] I loath.

Most dutiful to command,

Jhon Lyly.

Whatever had been the matter, Oxford purchased the lease to Blackfriars theater and worked together with Lyly ⸻ to whom he soon signed it over ⸻ to put on the first of the plays history clearly recognizes as “Elizabethan”: plays by Lyly, Marlowe, Peele and Oxford himself. In the process, Lyly also became a vice-master of the Boys of St. Paul's, who, performed the plays together with the Children of the Royal Chapel.

All of this (and more) suggests the precarious situation of even the most talented servant with the highest connections (such as Burghley). It comes as no surprise that Lyly was reputed by his fellow writers to smoke like a chimney.



Also at Virtual Grub Street:




No comments: