The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Friday, August 28, 2020

Letter: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, before October 30, 1584. [Spelling modernized.]


BL Lansdowne 42/39, ff. 97-8 (bifolium, 305mm x 200mm), Oxford to Burghley; before October 30, 1584 (W247-8;F320-1,332). [Click here for original spelling.]

The first part of this letter is in a handwriting not Oxford’s.  The Earl’s handwriting begins at the sign-off and includes the long post-script and delivery directions.

It is not unknown to your Lordship that I have entered into a great number of bonds to such as have purchased lands of me to discharge them of all encumbrances. And because I stand indebted to unto her Majesty (as your Lordship knows) many of the said purchasers do greatly fear some trouble likely to fall upon them, by reason of her Majesty’s said debt, & especially if the bonds of the Lord Darcy and Sir William Walgrave should be extended for the same, who have two several statutes of great sums for their discharge. Whereupon many of the said purchasers have been suitors unto me to procure the discharging of her Majesty’s said debt, and do seem very willing to bear the burden thereof, if by my means the same might be stalled payable at some convenient days. I have therefore thought good to acquaint your Lordship with this their suit, requiring most earnestly your Lordship’s furtherance in this behalf, whereby I shall be unburdened of a great care, which I have for the saving of my honor, and shall by this means also unburden my wife’s jointure of that charge which might happen hereafter to be imposed upon the same, if god should call your Lordship and me away before her.

 

(Oxford's hand takes over)

Your Lordship’s

 

(signed) Edward Oxenford

My lord, this other day your man Stainner told me that you sent for Amis my man, and if he were absent that Lyly should come unto you. I sent Amis for he was in the way. And I think very strange that your Lordship should enter into that course towards me, whereby I must learn that I knew not before, both of your opinion and good will towards me. But I pray, my lord, leave that course, for I mean not to be your ward nor your child. I serve her Majesty, and I am that I am, and by alliance near to your lordship, but free, and scorn to be offered that injury, to think I am so weak of government as to be ruled by servants, or not able to govern myself. If your Lordship take and follow this course, you deceive yourself, and make me take another course then yet I have not thought of. Wherefore this shall be to desire your Lordship if that I may make account of your friendship, that you will leave that course as hurtful to us both.

 

Addressed by Oxford: To the right honorable my very good Lorde the Lord Treasurer of England [seal]

Endorsed by Burghley: The Earl of Oxford by Amyce his man

Second endorsement: xxx october 1584; For securing those that had purchased lands of him, his desire to take a course to pay his debt to ye Queen.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A 1572 Oxford Letter and the Player’s Speech in Hamlet. August 11, 2020. “The player’s speech has been a source of consternation among Shakespeare scholars for above 200 years.  Why was Aeneas’ tale chosen as the subject?”
  • Gutenberg, proto-Hack Writers and Shakespeare. May 26, 2020. “A less well known effect of the Reformation was that many young Catholic men who had taken religious orders in order to receive an education began to lead lives at large from monastic discipline.  Like Erasmus and Rabelais they took up the pen.”
  • The Battle Over Shakespeare's Early and Late Plays. September 24, 2018. “The answers to the post-Oxford dilemma, of course, are three.”
  • Shakespeare's Apricocks.  February 21, 2017.  "While he may never have been a gardener, he does seem more than superficially knowledgeable about the gardens of his day.  One detail of such matters that he got wrong, however, is as much to the point as any."
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

 

  

No comments: