The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, May 18, 1591. [Spelling modernized.]

BL Lansdowne 68/6, ff. 12-13 (bifolium, 272mm x 195mm), Oxford to Burghley; 18 May 1591 (W305-6;F393-5,411-12). [Click here for original spelling.]


My Lord,

I do thank your Lordship for the punishment of Hampton whose evil dealings towards me, being put in trust with my causes in Law, I hope your Lordship will think them sufficient to deserve your disgrace, especially knowing his corruptions, which for the more assured knowledge of your lordship, I have sent unto the parties themselves, from whom he has drawn money to his own behalf. Whose confirmations so soon as they can be brought out of the country, they shall be delivered to your lordship. In the mean season I shall most heartily pray your lordship to persevere your good favor towards me, whereby I may procure redress against this which Amyce has passed under the great seal, by the practice of Hampton’s fraudulent device, as shall appear, if I may have leisure to manifest the same every day more and more. The changing of the name of my servant without my privity, and putting in another in trust for himself, as bad as I understand as himself, if your Lordship will, [I] may give your Lordship certain knowledge of the deceit. The cozening of so many tenants of their money, and the forfeiting of my lease of Skinner’s land, do witness enough his corruption. I know if your lordship will stand my honorable good lord and friend herein, by handling this Hampton roughly, and this Amyce so that he be but put in fear, that you may bring them to that order which is reason, that I may enjoy my own lands, as from the beginning was meant  by her majesty. And as for this letter of Amyce’s which I have returned to your lordship, both concerning my messages to him and the dealing of my servant, as he reports is most false. Whereof I will refer all to your lordship who knows that intent of her Majesty’s first meaning to me, was far otherwise in the beginning, when with this suit of mine, she thought to recompense me in some sort, for forbearing my suit for the forest, and can judge how unfaithfully I am dealt withal by these parties. Which favor if your lordship will do for me, then would I gladly break unto your Lordship another matter which I would have done ere this, had I not been intercepted by these unlooked for troubles. And this it is.

Whereas I have heard, her majesty meant to sell unto one Middleton, a merchant, and one Carmarden the demains of Denbigh, which as I am informed is 230l by yearly rent, now as it is, I would be an  humble suitor to her majesty, that I might have had this bargain paying the 8000l, as they should have done accepting for 5000l thereof the pension which she has given me in the exchequer and the other 3000l the next term, or upon such reasonable days as her majesty would grant me by her favor. And further if her majesty would not accept the pension for 5000l that then she would yet take unto it, to make up that value, the title of the forest which by all counsel of law, and conscience is as good right unto me as any other land in England. And I think her majesty makes no evil bargain, and I would be glad to be sure of something that were my own and that I might possess. If her majesty thinks it should offend the tenants, and for that she has granted them a lease, if they complain or be against it, I will cease my suit. But if I can get their good wills and that they shall let their lease fall which her majesty has granted, whereupon I dare presume to your lordship, then, that her majesty will let me me have it on those former conditions. This is a thing that I have been desirous to impart unto your lordship, but that I have either found you troubled with other business, or I myself have been encumbered with these treacheries of Hampton.

The effect hereof is I would be glad to have an equal care with your Lordship over my children, and if I may obtain this reasonable suit of her majesty, granting me nothing, but what she has done to others and mean persons, and  nothing but that I shall pay for it, then, those lands that are in Essex as Hedingham, Brets and the rest whatsoever, which will come to some 5 or 600l by year, upon your Lordship's friendly help towards my purchases, in Denbigh, shall be presently delivered in possession to you, for their use. And so much I am sure to make of these demains for myself.

So shall my children be provided for, myself at length settled in quiet, and I hope your lordship contented, remaining no cause for you to think me an evil father, nor any doubt in me, but that I may enjoy that friendship from your Lordship, that so near a match, and not fruitless, may lawfully expect. Good my Lord, think of this, and let me have both your furtherance, and counsel, in this cause. For to tell the truth I am weary of an unsettled life which is the very pestilence that happens unto courtiers that propound to themselves no end of their time therein bestowed. Thus committing your Lordship to Almighty god, with my most hearty thanks, and commendations I take my leave. This 18th of May. Your Lordship’s ever to Command.

 

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (by the Earl of Oxford): To the right honorable & his very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England give this.

Endorsed (by Baron Burghley): 18 of May 1591 The Earl of Oxford

Second endorsement: Hampton; Amyce; Denbigh


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A 1572 Oxford Letter and the Player’s Speech in Hamlet. August 11, 2020. “The player’s speech has been a source of consternation among Shakespeare scholars for above 200 years.  Why was Aeneas’ tale chosen as the subject?”
  • Edward de Vere, Shakespeare and Tycho Brahe.  June 9, 2020. “When Brahe was encouraged by his friends and associates to publish a book on the November 1572 supernova for which he is now famous, his answer belonged to his times.”
  • Shakespeare’s Funeral Meats. May 13, 2020. “Famous as this has been since its discovery, it has been willfully misread more often than not.  No mainstream scholar had any use for a reference to Hamlet years before it was supposed to have been written.”
  • Malvolio’s Crow's Feet and “the new Mappe”. October 14, 2019. “Percy Allen’s candidate is not mentioned by any of these parties. The traditionalists, of course, could not consider it possible because it would suggest far too early a date for the play.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

No comments: