The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Princess Elizabeth to the Duke of Somerset. January 28, 1548.

Unsure that Robert Tyrwhit, the agent of the Lord Protector — Edward Seymour, the Duke of Somerset — is properly describing her answers to his interrogations, Princess [actually, Lady] Elizabeth takes the initiative to write to Somerset directly. Also to address rumors that the Duke’s agents themselves may be spreading.

The Duke is demanding criminal confessions. Tyrwhit is growing frustrated that, for all his manipulations, Elizabeth has not incriminated the Duke’s brother, Thomas Seymour, the High Lord Admiral, or any of the members of her household. The brothers were competitors for the royal power as uncles of the minor king. Each was intent to remove the other. The Admiral had, indeed, offered Elizabeth attentions and favors in an attempt to ingratiate himself, clearly wooing her. To do so was dangerous in itself, given the position of his brother, but not criminal. To marry or suggest marriage without the King’s permission was another matter altogether. If Edward could prove it, he could remove his brother’s competition — if  not his head.

 

MY Lord, your great Gentilnis, and good Wil towards me, as wel in this 

Thinge, as in other Things, I do understande, for the wiche, even as I ought, so I do give you most humble Thanks. And wheras your Lordshipe willeth and counselleth me, as an ernest Frende, to declare what I knowe in this Matter, and also to write what I have declared to Master Tirwit, I shall most willingly do it. I declared unto him first, that, after that the Coferar [Cofferer] had declared unto me, what my Lord Admiral answered for Alin's Matter, and for Diram Place, (that it was appointed to be a Minte,) he told me that my Lord Admiral did offer me his House for my Time being with the Kinge's Majestie; and further sayd, and asked me, wether if the Counsel did consente that I shulde have my Lord Admiral, wether I wolde consente to it or no: I answered that I wolde not tel him what my Minde was. And I inquired further of him, what he mente to ask me that Question, or who bad him say so: He answered me and said, no Bodye bad him say so, but that he parserved (as he thogth) by my Lorde Admiral's inquiringe wither my Patente were sealed or no, and debatinge what he spente in his House, and inquiringe what was spent in my House, that he was given that way rather than otherwise. And as concerninge Kat. Aschilye [Kate Ashley], she never avised me unto it, but said alwais (whan any talked of my Marriage) that she wolde never have me marry, nether in Inglande nor out of Inglande, without the Consent of the Kinge's Majestie, your Grace's, and the Counsels. And after the Quene was departed, whan I asked of her what Newes she harde from London, she answered merilye, “The[y] say ther that your Grace shal have my Lord Admiral, and that he wil come shortly to woue you.” And more over I said unto him, that the Cofferar sent a Letter hither, that my Lord sayd, that he wolde come this Waye, as he went doune to the Countrye. Than I bad her write as she thogth best, and bade her shewe it me when she had done; so she write that she thogth it not best, for feare of suspicion, and so it went forthe. And my Lord Admiral, after he had heard that, asked of the Coferar, whiche might not come as wel to me, as to my Sister: And then I desired Kat. Ashilye to write againe (lest my Lorde migth thinke that she knewe more in it than he) that she knewe nothinge in it, but suspicion. And also I told Master Tirwit, that to the Effect of the Matter, I never consented unto any suche Thing, without the Counsels Consent ther unto. And as for Kat. Ashilye or the Coferar, the[y] never tolde me that the[y] wolde practise it. Thes be the Thinges wiche I bothe declared to Master Tirwit, and also wherof my Conscience berethe me Witnis, wiche I wolde not for al earthely 

Thinges offende in any Thinge; for I knowe I have a Soule to save, as wele as other Fokes have, wherfore I wil above al Things have Respect unto this same. If ther be any more Thinges wiche I can remember, I wil ether write it my selfe, or cause Master Tirwit to write it. Master Tirwit and others have tolde me that ther goeth rumers Abrode, wiche be greatly bothe agenste my Honor, and Honestie, (wiche above al other thinkes I estime) wiche be these; that I am in the Tower; and with Childe by my Lord Admiral. My Lord these ar shameful Schandlers, for the wiche, besides the great Desire I have to see the Kinge's Majestie, I shall most hartely desire your Lordship that I may come to the Court after your first Determination; that I may shewe my selfe there as I am. Written in haste, from Atfelde

this 28th of January.

Your assured Frende to my little Power,

Elizabeth.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • Gossip as History: The Murder of Amy Robsart. February 17, 2020. "The first sudden death Leicester was rumored to have caused was that of his wife, Amy Robsart, in 1560. In that year, it was still not clear whether the Queen would marry. But certainly not her beloved Leicester if he were married."
  • A Most Curious Account of the Funeral of Queen Elizabeth I: April 28, 1603.  April 28, 2019.  “Once it was clear that James I would face no serious challenges, Cecil and the others could begin to give attention to the matter of the Queen’s funeral.”
  • Queen Elizabeth I’s Heart and the French Ambassador.  April 3, 2019.  “…the Queen of England, with the permission of her physicians, has been able to come out of her private chamber, she has permitted me… to see her…”
  • Account of a Performance of Macbeth: April 20, 1611. September 30, 2018. “One detail of this account, in particular, promises to go a long way toward understanding the date of composition and a key detail as to the state of the text in 1611.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  •  

     

    No comments: