The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Monday, September 28, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, October 25, 1593. [Spelling modernized.]

 

BL Harley 6996/22, ff. 42-3 (bifolium, 305mm x 195mm), Oxford to Burghley; 25 October 1593 (W311;F431-2). [Click here for original spelling.]

My very good lord, I hope it is not out of your remembrance, how long since I have been a suitor to her majesty, that she would give me leave to try my title to the forest at the law. But I found that so displeasing unto her, that in place of receiving that ordinary favor, which is of course granted to the meanest subject, I was browbeaten, and had many bitter speeches given me. Nevertheless at length by means of some of the lords of the council, among which your lordship especially, her majesty was persuaded to give me ear. At that time which was at Somerset House, if your lordship please to call to mind, her majesty would needs have it committed unto arbiters, pretending therein, to do me especial favor, in cutting off the long circumstances of the law, and charges pertaining thereto. But after I had consented thereunto, for me, could be no other arbiter permitted, than the lord Chancellor, whom she had chosen for herself. This I am assured your lordship has good cause to remember, by her majesty’s exception against you, in that she thought you partial to

your son-in-law. But these things I call only to mind for your lordship's better remembrance, which through so many affaires otherwise, in so long a time, it is no marvel, if perhaps you have easily forgotten. Therefore I will to purpose only further call to remembrance the success of this arbitrement which was thus. After much ado, and a good year spent, by delays from her majesty, my lord Chancellor then Sir Christopher Hatton being earnestly called upon, appointed a time of hearing both for her majesty’s learned, council at the law, and mine. Whereupon what he conceived thereby of my title, he was ready to have made his report unto her majesty. But such was my misfortune, (I do not think her mind to do me any wrong,) that she flatly refused, therein my lord Chancellor, and for a final answer commanded me no more to follow the suit, for whether it was hers or mine, she was resolved to dispose thereof at her pleasure. A strange sentence me thought which being justly considered, I may say, she had done me more favor if she had suffered me to try my title at law, then this arbitrement under pretense of expedition, and grace, the extremity had been far more safe then the remedy which I was persuaded to accept. But after I had made some complaint of this hard determination, yet in so desperate a state, she promised this relief to my cause, that in some other matter, that should be as commodious as that unto me, she would recompense me in the mean while. Hence rises the cause, my lord, wherefore I have preferred many suits to her majesty, but have found in them all, the same delays, and difficulties, that I did in the other before. But now the ground whereon I lay my suit being so just and reasonable, that either I should expect some satisfaction, […] by way of recompense, or restoration of mine own, as I am yet persuaded, until law has convinced me: these are most earnestly to desire a continuance of your lordship’s favor and furtherance in my suit, which I made at Greenwich, to her majesty at her last being there, about three commodities, to wit the oils, wools, and fruits, in giving therefore, as then my proffer was. I 

do the rather now renew the same for that I do not here as yet they are disposed otherwise, and that the time, is fittest, as well for her majesty’s commodity, as his that shall take it. And considering, if her majesty will have a just consideration of the premises, I am to challenge and expect somewhat. your lordship knows the whole process of the matter, and can better judge than any other, as to whom my estate is best known, how hardly I may forbear so great an interest, without any recompense. And therfore as to the meetest, (for that my state and cause, both in right, and conscience is best understood,) to conceive of the just desire I make of this suit, I do address myself to your lordship, most earnestly to crave both your opinion, and council, your favor, and furtherance, whether I were best to follow this suit, which I have commenced, or it standing so, that there is no good or hope to be done, or conceived therein, to seek again her majesty’s favor, that I might proceed, in law, to try my title to the forest. And thus desiring your lordship to hold me excused, for that I am so long, in a matter that concerns me so much, I will make an end, this 25 of October, 1593 and always rest

Your lordship’s to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (by Earl of Oxford): To the right honorable and his very good lord, the Lord Treasurer of England.

Endorsed (mixture of hands): 25 October 1593. the Earl of Oxford to the Lord Treasurer his petition.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A 1572 Oxford Letter and the Player’s Speech in Hamlet. August 11, 2020. “The player’s speech has been a source of consternation among Shakespeare scholars for above 200 years.  Why was Aeneas’ tale chosen as the subject?”
  • Edward de Vere, Shakespeare and Tycho Brahe.  June 9, 2020. “When Brahe was encouraged by his friends and associates to publish a book on the November 1572 supernova for which he is now famous, his answer belonged to his times.”
  • Shakespeare’s Funeral Meats. May 13, 2020. “Famous as this has been since its discovery, it has been willfully misread more often than not.  No mainstream scholar had any use for a reference to Hamlet years before it was supposed to have been written.”
  • Malvolio’s Crow's Feet and “the new Mappe”. October 14, 2019. “Percy Allen’s candidate is not mentioned by any of these parties. The traditionalists, of course, could not consider it possible because it would suggest far too early a date for the play.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

 

 

No comments: