The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, October 04, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, July 7, 1594. [Spelling modernized.]

BL Lansdowne 76/74, ff. 168-9 (bifolium, 295mm x 195mm), Oxford to Burghley; 7 July 1594 (W312-13;F484). [Click here for original spelling.]


My very good Lord.

If it please you to remember, that about half a year or thereabout past, I was suitor to your lordship, for your favor. That whereas I found sundry abuses, whereby both her Majesty, & myself, were in my office greatly hindered, that it would please your Lordship, that I might find such favor from you, that I might have the same redressed. At which time I found so good forwardness in your Lordship, that I thought myself greatly beholding for the same; yet by reason at that time my Attorney was departed the town, I could not then send  him to attend upon your Lordship, according to your appointment. But hoping that the same disposition still remains, towards the justness of my cause, and that your Lordship to whom my estate is so well known & how much it stands me on, not to neglect as heretofore, such occasions as 

to amend the same may arise, from my office, I most heartily desire your Lordship, that it will please you to give ear to the state of my cause, and at your best leisure, admit either my Attorney, or other of my counsel in law to inform your Lordship that the same being perfectly laid open to your Lordship, I may enjoy the favor from you which I most earnestly desire.  In which doing I shall think myself singularly beholding in this, as I have been in other respects.

This 7th of July, 1594.

 

Your Lordship’s ever to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (by the Earl of Oxford): Too the right honorable & his very good Lord the Lord Treasurer of England. [seal]

Endorsed: 7 July 1594 Earl of Oxford to my Lord; Great Chamberlainship of England.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A 1572 Oxford Letter and the Player’s Speech in Hamlet. August 11, 2020. “The player’s speech has been a source of consternation among Shakespeare scholars for above 200 years.  Why was Aeneas’ tale chosen as the subject?”
  • Edward de Vere, Shakespeare and Tycho Brahe.  June 9, 2020. “When Brahe was encouraged by his friends and associates to publish a book on the November 1572 supernova for which he is now famous, his answer belonged to his times.”
  • Shakespeare’s Funeral Meats. May 13, 2020. “Famous as this has been since its discovery, it has been willfully misread more often than not.  No mainstream scholar had any use for a reference to Hamlet years before it was supposed to have been written.”
  • Malvolio’s Crow's Feet and “the new Mappe”. October 14, 2019. “Percy Allen’s candidate is not mentioned by any of these parties. The traditionalists, of course, could not consider it possible because it would suggest far too early a date for the play.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

  

No comments: