The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Mary Queen-Dowager of France to her Brother, Henry VIII. Late January, 1515.

In this Series: 



“On Saturday Morning 0ctober 23, 1731. about two o' Clock, a great Smoak was perceived by Dr. Bentley,”[1] begins the official account of one of the great antiquarian disasters of English history.

…which soon after broke out into a Flame: It began from a wooden Mantle-Tree's taking Fire, which lay across a Stove-Chimney, that was under the Room, where the MSS. of the Royal and Cottonian Libraries were lodged, and was communicated to that Room by the Wainscot, and by Pieces of Timber, that stood perpendicularly upon each end of the Mantle Tree[2].

Throwing water on the woodwork was to no avail. The private fire companies of the time could not be relied upon.

…the Fire increasing still, and the Engines sent for not coming so soon as could be wished, and several of the Backs of the Presses being already on Fire, they were obliged to be broke open, and the Books, as many as could be, were thrown out of the windows.

Among the great manuscript collections of Sir Robert Bruce Cotton (1571–1631), some were too sadly lost and many others were damaged — including the early 16th century correspondence of Mary Tudor, sometime Queen of France.

This letters from Mary to her brother, King Henry VII, was singed at the edge. Therefore some minimal conjecture has been involved concerning the burned away text at the edges.

This letter was clearly written shortly after Henry’s letter to the French Ministry of January 14, 1515.[3] Mary’s nervousness that Henry will choose to go back on his promise to allow her to marry by her own choice after the death of her much older arranged husband French King Louis XII is almost as evident as Henry’s and Wolsey’s nervousness that they might not be able to find a way out of it.

 

Mine own good and most kind brother,[4]

I recommend me unto your grace, and thank you for the good and kind letters that you have sent me, the which has been the greatest comfort might be unto me in this world, desiring your grace so for to continue, for there is nothing so great a store [to] me as for to see you, the which I would very fain have the time for to come, as I trust it shall be, or else I would be very sorry, for I think every day a thousand till I may see you.

Sire, whereas your grace sends me word that I will not give no credence [to the]m for no suit, nor for no other words that shall be given me; sire, I promise Your grace that I never made them no promise, nor no other fo[r the]m, nor never will [until] that I know your [grace's mind] for nobody alive; for [your grace] is all the comfort t[hat I have] in this world; [and I trus]t your grace w[ill not] fail, for I have noth[ing in this] world that I care for but to have the good and [kind] mind that your grace had ever toward me, [which] I beseech your grace to continue, for therein is my trust that I have in this world. Sire, as for the letter that your grace did send me by [Master] Clinton, whereas you send m[e word] that I should provide myself [and make] me ready for to come to your grace; sire, an it were to-morrow I would be ready: and, as for my lord of Suffolk, and Sir Richard [Wingfield], and Doctor West, there be two or [three th]at came from the k[ing m]y son[5] for to have [brought the]m to him by the w[ay as they] came hitherward, [and so hindere]d them coming [hithe]rward that th * * * * * * * as I trust shall c[onclude in] a day or two, and then [let me] know your mind, for an when I do, I will do therafter.

Sire, I beseech your grace for to be good lord to Mr. John, your surgeon, for my sake, and that you will not be miscontented with him for his long tarrying here with me, for I bore him an [ha]nd[6] that your grace were contented that he should be here with me awhile; and so I pray your grace to give him leave for to tarry here awhile with me, for because I am very ill-diseased with the toothache, and the mother[7] withal, that some times I wot not what for to do; but [an I] might see your grace I were he[aled]. No more to you at this [time], but I pray God [to send] your grace good [life and long].

By your loving [sister],

MARY.

 

 



[1] “A Narrative of the Fire which happened at Ashburnham-House Oct. 23, 1731.” A Report from the Committee Appointed to View the Cottonian Library, &c. (1732). 11.

[2] A wooden beam mounted above a fireplace on which to dry clothing.

[3] “Henry VIII. to the French Minister. January 14, 1515.” Virtual Grub Street. https://gilbertwesleypurdy.blogspot.com/2020/10/henry-viii-to-french-minister-january.html

[4] Letters of royal and illustrious ladies of Great Britain (1846). Mary Anne Everett Wood, ed. I.183-7.

[5] Upon the death without male heir of Louis XII, of France, his son-in-law, Francis I became king. Mary had been in the habit of addressing Francis, her son-in-law, as her son.

[6] “I bore him an hand”. Gave him her hand in pledge (that Henry would be okay with him staying in France to attend upon her).

[7] Letters... 186n. “This is the ancient term for the disease called globus hystericus…”.  Post-Nasal drip causing heart-burn. Often attendant upon extreme anxiety. I suspect this is called “the mother” because it is a common side-effect of pregnancy.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A Model for Lady Macbeth.  July 12, 2020.  “In Macbeth, the Lady of the castle would also seem to be her Lord’s indomitable will.  She will see the deeds done that need be done in order for him to pass the daunting tests and wear the crown.”
  • A Most Curious Account of the Funeral of Queen Elizabeth I: April 28, 1603.  April 28, 2019.  “Once it was clear that James I would face no serious challenges, Cecil and the others could begin to give attention to the matter of the Queen’s funeral.”
  • Queen Elizabeth I’s Heart and the French Ambassador.  April 3, 2019.  “…the Queen of England, with the permission of her physicians, has been able to come out of her private chamber, she has permitted me… to see her…”
  • Gossip as History: The Murder of Amy Robsart. February 17, 2020. "The first sudden death Leicester was rumored to have caused was that of his wife, Amy Robsart, in 1560. In that year, it was still not clear whether the Queen would marry. But certainly not her beloved Leicester if he were married."
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

  • No comments: