The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Monday, June 07, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley; June 14, 1595. [Spelling modernized.]

PRO SP12/252/70, ff. 135-6, Oxford to Burghley; 14 June 1595. [Click here for original spelling.]

My good Lord.

Although it is all one, in my opinion whether her Majesty send down or not to have anybody join with Middleton, for that I am not acquainted with the points of his message which if they be but as I do hear, are little to the advancement of this service, but rather a deter[ance] and hindrance thereto. Yet concerning the main point upon which I most force, that is that her Majesty should not lose the benefit of this year, to that part of my desire I have of no ear given. Wherefore assuring myself that your Lordship will further her Majesty’s profit and assist them that shall go about the same earnestly, I would gladly put your Lordship in remembrance that the chiefest part of my request was to have her Majesty’s Letter, for the stay of Tin, that none should be bought or sold till this month be past, or about St James’s tide. In which time she may have leisure to consider what course will be most for her benefit, and not to suffer a matter of such moment as this, which is too great for any subject, for a small trifle to herself, by too much haste to slip her hands.

The matter of Time to busy about the quantity, is but frivolous, and I know not to what purpose, since it might be easlier known here, then by examination of Sir Francis Godolphin’s Roles, for the deceit there cannot be perceived, that will only stand upon affirming and denying without control.

The money which he yearly pays to the Queen declares sufficiently, for if he pay to her Majesty 2400l rent, then is that after 40s the 1000l weight, 1200 a thousand pound weight, and if the remain which is to come to the account of the year following, if it be a hundred or two ^100^ thousand Tin, that is but a 200 or 400th matter more of money. Which is too small a trifle to stand upon at this present.

The deceit lie where the Tin is transported, and when the Stocks be underrated, as where 4 Blocks should be a thousand, it is commonly seen that three Blokes attain to that quantity.

Wherefore my Lord I insist still to crave her Majesty’s letter for the stay of the Tin that none be bought and sold, till her Majesty be thoroughly satisfied what will be her pleasure. And in the mean season, that it shall rise much more to her benefit then otherwise. Then I am to advertise Roberts, to draw in his money whereof I know at his last being in town he left here a good some. About this matter I must and so he is determined to send Alderman Cacher down, who I know will not be negligent to perform the service. Then there is no let but to appoint  another to join with him for the other Moiety, and if Alderman Hawlton be ready to take such a charge upon him alone, then is it much more easier being joined with another. And since he has already deceived her Majesty of 40 thousand pound, as when he had for 12 or 14 year together the impost of wines, under his master: why should he think much to recompense the same now in her Majesty’s service, rating to her so great a commodity, and to himself no small revenue.

If 40 thousand pound laid out yield some four or five and twenty thousand pound gain, as the return and the use of this money comes to no less, why shall it not be thought, if her Majesty has half with them, and they five or six thousand pound a year. That this is the best way for her Majesty and a reasonable commodity, for them, whose proportions, few noble men in England attain to the like in their livings. I do not doubt but Hawtone may very well be satisfied with five or six thousand pound a year, a portion that may content any subject in the land.


Wherefore my Lord this is my request in short that I may have her Majesty’s letter to Sir Frances Godolphin for the stay of the Tin that none be bought or sold till her Majesty has declared her pleasure. And whereas I am acquainted with the sending down of diverse Merchants of their men, to buy up the Tin beforehand, that expedition may be used of the same and for that Alderman Cacher is now at this present to go down about[.] This business between me and Roberts concerning the setting forward of this service, I would gladly obtain that he might carry down the letter. For I would be loath that her Majesty being drawn on with frivolous devises, should lose some eight or ten thousand pound this year, and after be said that it was through my vain motions, when in deed it shall be their practice who would have her majesty be content with a little that they may deceive her of much. And to prevent this disgrace, I crave both in my own behalf, as well as in her Majesty’s, your Lordship’s true and honorable help. this 14 of June 1595.

Your Lordship’s to Command

(signed) Edward Oxenford

 

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

 

No comments: