The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Thursday, July 08, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Queen Elizabeth; June 1599.

Cecil Papers 71/26, Oxford to Elizabeth; June 1599. [Click here for modernized spelling.]

I beseche yowre Magestye to pardone myne importunite, at thys present and once agayne in thys cause to troble yow with my letters. also for my shorte wrightinge, sythe I rather am now in so short a tyme to poses yow with the matter, then wythe the Cyrcumstance.

There were with me a fewe dayes past sent frome yowre Magestye Sir Ihone Foscue & my Lord cheife Iustice about the matter of Tyne, whoo declared to me yat yowre Magestye wass resolued to take into yowre handes the preemptione of Tyne, and that yt was yowre plesure I showlde prooceede in that whiche I hadd aduertisde yowre Magestye to gett yow the monye wythe whiche the Tyne myght be bowght of the contrie.

I declared to them that I hadd in redines marchantes very sufficient whiche were wyllinge and redie to lende there monye but for yat I hadd nott of longe hard frome yowre Magestye I feared least yow hadd forgotten ytt or at the least not determined to proceed any further by sume persuatione. Wherfore I hadd neglected thys tyme to intertayne the Marchantes in the same humor. I therfore desyred a day or twoo agayne to refreshe yt agayne wythe them, wherto they agreede.

I dyd so. I found the marchantes stedfast in there mynde willinge and with great alacrite forward to do yowre Magestyes seruice in thys. Alderman Bannynge was the messenger betwiene them and mee, he dyd there message, I receyved we parted, then after for yat I could not travell vp and downe my selfe, I made Alderman Banninge once agayne to reiteratte there resolutione as repeatede frome me to knowe whyther I mistoke any woorde or speache, they all sent me word bake agayne that I ryghtlye conceyved them and I mistoke them in no one poynt or worde.

Hearevpon I aduertised my lord chiefe Iustice, in which aduertisment I sent there requestes and conditiones, concerninge which I referred sume to his opinion and requyred to here frome hyme.

Thes conditiones and suche matters at thys tyme for breuite sake I am to refer to a fytter tyme herafter to informe yowre Magestye onlye thys I am here to lett yow vnderstande, yat the Marchantes were willinge and in redines with ther mony to have lent yow the monye which showld be a stoke for the whoole Commodite, yowre Magestye showld not lay owt one pennye, yow shall pay no interrest, every syx monthes they [...] wowld have payd yowe fyve thowsand pounde, whiche ys ten thowsand pound a yeare. they wowld take noo yeares but when they hadd done yowre Magestye thys seruice, and yat yow hadd proof of the same, and yat they hadd restored the auncient price in Turchie of this commodite then to accepted suche conditiones as yowre Magestye showld thynke most profitable for yowre seluf

Thes thynges I advertised, tyme ran one, the Marchantes were moved I wondred. and to make me more wonder, my wyfe comminge from the courte, towld me yat yowre Magestye sayd to her yow hard not that there wass any monye gotten.

One wensday last the Marchantes were resolued to meat to gether for the collectione offe the monye and to portione every mans part with great wyllingnes and forwardnes. But then strange to me to heare yt, a commandment delyvered frome the Lord Mayor that they showld no further thynke of that matter, for her Magestye hadd no monye and therfore was determined thys yeare to lett ytt alone and they myght buye as they hadd done before.

How yowre Magestye ys persuaded I am not pryvie, but by yowre Magestyes favowre I muse what eloquence showld move yow, to leave seven thowsand ^l^ gayned so easily that yow are put to no further coste then tellinge it in yowre exchecker.

Agayne I thinke my selfe very evill recompenced for my seruice to be imployed and when I have performde yt, with all the faythe and diligence I can; then, yt, and my selfe vpon no reasone wythe so great a losse to yowre Magestye to be reiected and neglected.

I dare not say how muche yowre Magestye ys abusede, but I finde my selfe muche grieved to be sett one to compas thys monye, and havinge compassed yt to be turnd owte with suche a mocquerye. I beseche yowre Magestye in whose seruice I have faythefully imployed my selfe, (I will not intreate that yow suffer it yowre selfe thus to be abused,) but that yow will nott suffer me thus to be flouted scorned & mocked.

I feare I am to longe and that my hand ys too troblesume to reed, further the letter to longe, wherfore I will end addinge thys onlye. That to informe yowre Magestye yat yow were to lay owt any one penny ys a fowle abuse, and thys one my credit and dutie I doo affirme to yowre Magestye in whome soever the fault ys so far to abuse themselues. how can yt be sayd yow have no monye, when behowld so sufficient Marchantes are redie without any Interrest to lend yow the monye?

Perhapes they have towlde yow that they have hard non named, or knowe of anye. How can Sir Ihon Foscue say so? how can my lord chyefe Iustice say yt when I dyd assure them I hadd gotten Marchantes and the monye to be redie whensoever they showlde giue me warninge to bringe forthe thes Marchantes with ther monye?

They may say they had non named to them, they know that I towld them the Marchantes desyred not to be sene in yt tyll yowre Magestye hadd taken the preemptione. they misleke yt not they tould me yat yat order for the preemptione showld be done within twoo or thre dayes? I never hard sythence frome them I prepared the Marchantes to be redie tyll now thys new alteratione hathe confounded all.

wherfore yf yowre Magestye will have yt done I am to aduertis yow yt wilbe done. Monye ys to be hadd yat shall stand yow in never a pennye. And therfore yf yt stand with yowre plesure, yt behovethe yowre Magestye to make a stay agayne of thys newe deceyt, and to suffer the former order of preemptione to goo forwarde, which in a yeare or two wilbe fyftene thowsand pound a yeare.

thus in hast I crave yowre Magestyes pardone, for I thowght yt better for me to make a fault in my writinge, then yat yowre Magestye showld suffer any losse by so great abus and to informe yowre Magestye how necescassarye yt yt ys yf yowr plesure be not to lease a commodite, made ^so^ redie to yowre handes, to  countermade thys last order, and to giue commandment that the order of yowre preemptione be nott altred, least the Marchantes havinge prepared this monye and beinge provyded to furnishe yowre seruice, disposinge yt otherwise and vpon sum other imploymentes, the leke facilite and oportunite to effect yt be never hadd agayne.

Yowre Magestyes

most humble

subiect and servant

(signed) Edward Oxenford (sec. f; 4+7)

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): for her moste exellent Maiestie. [seal]

Endorsed: Iune 1599; Erle of Oxford to her Magesty; concerning Tynne.

 

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  

 

 

No comments: