The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Sunday, July 04, 2021

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Robert Cecil; June 1599. [Spelling modernized.]

Cecil Papers 71/23, Oxford to Cecil; June 1599. [Click here for original spelling.]


I am not at this present to use any superfluous circumstances wherefore I hope you will conceive never the worse, and bear with the haste of my matter.

Her Majesty has of late by Sir John Foscue and my lord Chief Justice employed my service for the getting her of money wherewith to supply a stock to buy the Tin yearly in Cornwall and Devonshire.

I found out sufficient and of the most able Merchants, willing and ready with their money to lend it to supply her Majesty without any penny of Interest, to pay her this present year ten thousand pound, every half year to wit five thousand pound.

I advertised the lord Chief Justice.

Since I have heard nothing till Thursday last, when overnight I received from Sir John Foscue, a letter that at three of the clock in the afternoon next day they were appointed by her Majesty to be with me about this matter of the Tin; at noontime I had a messenger from Sir John Foscue, that he had not found himself that morning well, and therefore he would next day be at the same hour with me, which was Friday, that is yesterday. I attended till six expecting their coming. I saw they came not, I marveled, and sent a man both to Sir John Foscue to know how he did, and to my Lord Chief Justice, that if it were any matter concerning her Majesty’s service if there were any let, that they could not come that they would signify the matter by letter. Sir John was sick and this day sent me word he takes physic.

My lord Chief Justice, for that he was joined to come with Sir John Foscue, will know her Majesty’s pleasure further, tomorrow at the Courte.

In the mean season I find they have reported nothing of the matter as they resolved to do when they were with me. They have not advertised her Majesty that the money was to be had, but contrary rather if it ^be^ true that I do hear, that her Majesty has no money in her coffers for this purpose. to what end is that when she has it ready prepared by her Merchants. Why should it be told her what she wanted in her coffers, and not what her Majesty might have without any interest, and the gain of seven thousand pound from her Merchants, and hereafter a matter of fifteen thousand pound a year proved as clear as the sun does shine. For, the Quantity of Tin being supposed Ten hundred thousand pound, and that her Majesty shall buy it for four marks the hundred, that is 26l and a Mark the thousand, who does not see, that selling the same for 4s a hundred that is two and forty pound a thousand weight of Tin, that her Majesty gains fifteen thousand pound a year, and thus the Merchants to buy it of the Queen have agreed with me.

Now it moves me not a little, that I should be thus set a work for her Majesty’s service, and when with my great labor I have effected it, to be thus mocked; if they meant it at the first to overthwart it why should they abuse me in her Majesty’s name to deal with the Merchants, and when I have done it, neither to let her Majesty understand it putting them in trust, and sending them of purpose to assist me? But contrary by their silence to neglect the time, and with impertinent matters of her Majesty’s want of money in her coffers, to hide from her the readiness of the Merchants to furnish this service?

I have written to her Majesty, hoping she will not suffer me employing myself in her service to be rewarded for my labor with a mock, nor herself to be thus abused to have a matter of seven thousand pound this year with a more assured profit in the years following, (by negligence, dullness, or abuse (for one of these it must be) to be overseen and lost, especially putting her Majesty to no further cost or travail then to the telling it into her exchequer.

My desire therefore unto you is this, that you will be acknowledged to ^her^ Maiestie that I have made you privy that I have written unto her, and for that I fear in time enough my letter should not be read, & that my hand is too troublesome for her Majesty, that I had desired you, to move her Majesty for answer thereof, whereby it may be she will make you read the letter and then she shall not be ignorant how her service is conveyed.

And for so much as I find so many that her Majesty has put in trust in this cause yet when it comes to the point they give her the slip, I would most earnestly desire you for our old acquaintance, friendship and affinity sake to join with me in this service, and to offer your help to me in this matter to her Majesty for I do assure you that it will have an acceptable end to her Majesty and that counselor shall have no small advantage over the other which have I cannot tell what to term it so slowly and dully or corruptly abused from time to time her Majesty’s Intentions touching this matter.

And thus much I assure you, to encourage you the more, that let her Majesty call back this countermand, which stopps the Preemption, and let it be declared as it was of her Majesty’s Resolution, to take it into her hands. And the money shall be presently supplied by the Merchants. And her Majesty shall have cause to give you thanks, and I shall be glad my travail shall not be so lost. Thus with my earnest desire to you to consider the cause according to the haste, and not according to the disordered disposition of my letter, I will end and take my leave. For if her Majesty does not presently countermand this last resolution, procured from her by concealing the merchants readiness to furnish her with money, she is like to lease the benefit of this year, and hereafter the whole cause.

One thing I also am to remember that is where I have Named Alderman Banning to her Majesty who has been very prompt and forward to bring one the rest of his Companions to this service, for some cause to desire her Majesty not to let his name to be seen or known for some respects in her Majesty’s service. I wrote of him only that her Majesty might both know his diligence and that for my dealing with the Merchants he might witness hereafter, how far everything was proceeded in before this unlooked for countermand.

Your assured friend and loving brother.

(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed (in Oxford’s hand): To the right honorable and his very well-beloved friend, Sir Robert Cecil, her Majesty’s principal secretary and Master of her Wards. [seal]

Endorsed: June 1599; Earl of Oxford to my Mr; concerning Tin

 

 

Also at Virtual Grub Street:


 

No comments: