The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Letters: Earl of Oxford to Baron Burghley, January 3, 1576. [Spelling modernized.]


Cecil Papers 8/12 (small bifolium, 280mm x 195mm), Oxford to Burghley; 3 January 1576 (W110-11;F203-4). [Click here for original spelling.]


My lord,

I am sorry to hear how hard my fortune is in England as I perceive by your Lordship’s letters, but knowing how vain a thing it is to linger a mischief, (to know the worst of myself & to let your Lordship understand wherein I would use your honorable friendship) in short I have thus determined, that whereas I understand, the greatness of my debt; and greediness of my creditors, grows so dishonorable to me, and troublesome unto your Lordship, that that land of mine which in Cornwall I have appointed to be sold according to that first order for my expenses in the travel be gone through withal. And to stop my creditors’ exclamations or rather defamations I may call them I shall desire your Lordship by the virtue of this letter which does not err as I take it from any former purpose which was that always upon my letter to authorize your Lordship to sell any portion of my land that you will sell one hundred pound a year more of my land where your Lordship shall think fittest, to disburden me of my debts to her Majesty my sister or else where I am exclaimed upon.  Likewise most earnestly I shall desire your Lordship to look into the lands of my fathers will, which my sister being paid and the time expired I take is come into my hands. And if your Lordship will for not troubling of yourself too much with my causes command, Lewine, Kelton, and my auditor to make a 




view into the same, I think it will be the sooners dispatched. As for Hulbert I pray your Lordship to displace him of his office which I restored unto him him before my auditor on condition he should render it up at all times that I should command. My reason is why I do the same for that he bargained with me in Colne, and trusting him, therein he has taken more than I meant and as his own letter which I have sent to my servant Keltone does show than himself did mean, a fit excuse for so cozening a part and yet though it was more than he meant whereas it is that all times he should surrender the same when his money should be offered to him again in compass of certain years, yet in my absence he has refused the same as I understand. Whereupon me thinks he deserves very evil at my hands, and h e that in so small a matter does misuse the trust I have reposed in him, I am to doubt his service in greater causes. Wherefore I do again desire your Lordship to discharge him from all dealings of mine, upon his accounts to the rest of my forenamed servants.


In doing these things your lordship shall  greatly pleasure me. In not doing them you shall as much hinder me. For although to depart with land your Lordship has advised the contrary and that your Lordship for good affection you bear unto me could wish it otherwise, yet you see, I have none other remedy I have no help but my own, and mine is made to serve me, and myself not mine. Whereupon until all such encumbrances be passed over and until I can better settle myself at home I have determined to continue my travel the which thing in no wise I desire your Lordship to hinder. Unless you would have it thus Ut nulla sit inter nos amicitia for having made an end of all hope to help myself by her Majesty’s service considering that my youth is objected unto me, and for every step of mine, a block is found to be laid in my way, I see it is but vain, calcitrare contra li buoi. And the worst of things being known they are the more easier to be provided for, to bear and support them with patience. Wherefore for things past amiss to repent them is too late, to help them, which I cannot but ease them that I am determined to hope for anything I do not, but if anything do happen preter spem. I think before that time I must be so old as my sons, who shall enjoy them, must give thanks and I am to content myself according to this english proverb that it is my hap to starve like the horse, while the grass does grow.



Thus my good lord I do boldly write that you should not be ignorant of anything that I do, for if I have reason I make you the judge, and lay myself more open unto you, than perhaps if I write fewer lines or penned less store of words otherwise I could do. But for that it is not so easy a matter at all times to convey letters from these parts into England I am therefore the more desirous to use largely this opportunity and to supply in writing the want of speaking, which the long distance between us has taken away. Thus I leave your Lordship to the protection of almighty god whom I beseech to send you long and happy life and better fortune to define your felicity, in these your aged years, than it has pleased him to grant in my youth. But of hard beginning we may hope a good and easy ending. Your Lordship’s to command during life. The 3rd of January, from Siena


(signed) Edward Oxenford

Addressed by Oxford: <…>ght honorable and his singular good lord, my lord Burley, lord Treasurer of England give this [seal]

Endorsed by Burghley: 3 January 1575 The Earl of Oxford by M Spinola's packet. Received the 17 of February.


Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A Model for Lady Macbeth.  July 12, 2020.  “In Macbeth, the Lady of the castle would also seem to be her Lord’s indomitable will.  She will see the deeds done that need be done in order for him to pass the daunting tests and wear the crown.”
  • What About Edward de Vere’s Twelfth Night of 1600/01? January 28, 2020. “Leslie Hotson, who brought the Orsino-Orsino coincidence to the attention of the Nevillians seems to have made one particular mistake that is all to our point.”
  • Who Saved Southampton from the Ax? September 2, 2019.  “One of the popular mysteries of the final years of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I is why the Queen executed her favorite, the Earl of Essex, for treason, and left his accomplice, the Earl of Southampton, to languish as a prisoner in The Tower until King James I ascended the throne.”
  • Gossip as History: Anne Boleyn, Part 1.  November 8, 2019. “This is more than just gossip, I submit.  It is a vital part of the historical record.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.


No comments: