The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Monday, July 27, 2020

Sir Walter Mildmay to Baron Burghley, July 27, 1574.


Walter Mildmay — a highly respected counselor even though he was a younger son — may have been William Cecil, Baron Burghley’s, closest personal friend.  Their surviving letters suggest as much. Mildmay’s appointment as Under Treasurer and Sub-Chancellor of the Queen’s Exchequer, and member of the Privy Council, in 1566, may point to the two already long having been friends — perhaps even from the end of the reign of Henry VIII when the young Mildmay clerked under his much older brother[1] who was the Auditor of the Court of Augmentations.

Mildmay also married Mary Walsingham[2], sister to the famous Francis, ambassador, eventually Principal Secretary to the Queen, and always master of a network of spies.  Burghley and Walsingham both had their own networks, Cecil’s less spies than informants.  They seem often to have shared in directing each other's operators. Nevertheless, Walsingham grew more closely allied to the Earl of Leicester, in time, in a clique intended to outweigh the enormous influence of the Baron in favor of more aggressive policies.

Regardless of Mildmay’s family connection to Walsingham, he remained allied to Burghley. Quietly and in a subordinate role as always. His unwillingness to show himself off may have been the reason he never reached the highest echelon in Elizabeth’s government. Even at Burghley’s table, he is said to have participated in conversation but to have spoken little.

The passage on Burghley’s son-in-law, the Earl of Oxford, here, refers to his unauthorized escape to the Low Countries. Ever more frustrated at having the Queen’s permission to travel to Europe continually postponed, he crossed the Channel without it. He returned soon after and was forgiven by Her Majesty with an ease that belies his remarkable personal favor with her.



Dated from Apthorp, the 27th of July, 1574.[3]

I humblie thanke you, my very good Lord, that it pleased you to bestow so large a letter uppon me of your hand, and therby to let me understand how thyngs passe above, and specially the King of Spaine's sending to entertayne assured amyty with her Majestie, which I will hope is so meant. And yet there is no dowbte but her Majestie's experience is such, as she seeth that necessitie is the cause of these fair speeches at thys tyme, and therefore her Majestie doeth well to provide for the worst, for surely your Lordship knoweth better then I, that longer than you be jealouse of their doings, longer you cannot be sure from hurt from them. The stay of the shippes is a good stay to your cofers. I pray God it prove as well for her Majestie's service and sauffety.

For the latter parte of your Lordship's letter, I do eftsones most hartelie thank you in that it pleased you to save me from so ill a jurney as I was nere. Surely, according to my most bounden dewty, I am and will be ready to serve her Majestie when and where she will command, but for my coming to London at thys tyme, your Lordship hath answered sufficeable for her Majestie's service, and most frendely for me.

My coming home being so late, and the tyme of the year such as I am not the fittest to travayle in, therefore, my good Lord, I beseeche you contynew that mynd towards my stay here, as you have begunne: and I shall be bound to you for that, as I am already in many things, and be ready in that little I can do for you or any of yours, either here or in any other place: for so you have given me just cause, which I may never forget.


Of my Lord of Oxford's returne I am glad to heare. I trust this little jorney will make him love home the better herafter. It were great pytie he shold not go strayt, there be so many good things in hym, to serve God and his Prince.

I pray God send to your Lordship, and all yours, even as I wyshe to myn owne hart. And so praying to be commended to my good Lady, I end troubling your Lordship any further at this present.

From Apthorp, the 27th of July, 1574.
Your good Lordship's bounden to command,
Wa. Mildmay.

I hoped to have seen your Lordship here this sommer, and so I trust I may do yet.




[1] St. John-Mildmay.  A Brief Memoir of the Mildmay family (1913). 36. “THE most famous of the brothers of the Auditor was Walter, generally styled of Apethorpe, Northamptonshire.” The name “Thomas” was so common in the Mildmay family that the Auditor is often mistaken for his father.
[2] I have yet to discover a documentary source for this claim.  It seems so common, however, that it is certain to be true.
[3] Queen Elizabeth and her time, a series of original letters, I.506-7.

Also at Virtual Grub Street:



No comments: