The Holder of this blog uses no cookies and collects no data whatsoever. He is only a guest on the Blogger platform. He has made no agreements concerning third party data collection and is not provided the opportunity to know the data collection policies of any of the standard blogging applications associated with the host platform. For information regarding the data collection policies of Facebook applications used on this blog contact Facebook. For information about the practices regarding data collection on the part of the owner of the Blogger platform contact Google Blogger.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Thomas Churchyard to Sir Christopher Hatton, June 23, 1581.

Thomas Churchyard was born around 1520, in Shrewsbury, on the Welsh boarder. He was quite well educated for his class and time. Cajoling his inheritance out of his father before his majority, he set off, lute in hand, to be a courtier. The experience was not pleasant but somehow he managed to be taken on as a servant of the Earl of Surrey. Upon the earl’s execution by Henry VIII, Churchyard took up soldiering in the Low Countries. After many Falstaffian adventures, he was taken on by Surrey’s 16 year old nephew, Edward de Vere, the Earl of Oxford. After calling the young earl a “cur” he was released. He returned to the Court decrying the earl who done him wrong.

Like so many courtiers (even those as humble as mercenary captains), during 1580 Churchyard accepted an arrangement with the resident French ambassador, Mauvissiere, receiving a bit of side-money for being his eyes and ears at Court.  The arrangement was expanded to include travel to the Scottish Court, in Edinburgh, to provide the French ambassador similar services there.  The old Soldier — now an old spy — unwisely accepted payment from the Scottish King while there, as well.  Thomas Randall, the English ambassador to the Scottish Court of James I, was soon suspicious and reporting on Churchyard’s activities.  Randall and/or others spread rumors that soon brought him under fire by the locals.



This necessitated yet another of his many infamous escapes.  The old reprobate immediately wrote Christopher Hatton from Berwick abjectly begging forgiveness from the Queen. His powers of ingratiation had to have been enormous. By all rights, he should not have had the least access to Hatton being nothing more than a common soldier and doggerel versifier. And if he was not already personally known by the Queen within a few years he would be.


Dated from Bardwicke[1], the 23rd of June, 1581.[2]


Sir, having tried my uttermost fortune, and passed the fire of affliction, through a perillous pilgrimage, not voyde of many deadly dangers, and imminente miseries, I am come, prostrate in minde, and falling downe on my knees before my Lord Governour of Barwicke, submytting myself to the Queene's Majestie's mercye, and my Lorde's good favour, always hoping that your Honour hath in mynde the promise which I made you, for a piece of service that I meante with hazard of my life to discover for the discharge of my dutie to my prince and country; leaving certain notes by worde of mouthe and also in paper for that purpose with you. And yet hearing no answer of sundry letters which I sent you after my great misfortune, I remayned three months in Englande, drawing myself downe towardes Scotland, (as I wrote unto you,) by the meane of Monsieur Mauvissiere, of whom I brake with you many tymes, before my departure. But when I entred Scotlande, I found thinges fall out farr otherwise then I looked for : and so I must either sweare to be trewe to the Kynge in that extremytie, or else departe I knew not whither. If I had practised with Mr. Randall, it had been present death to me, (besides he disgraced me all he could,) and if I had written to yor Honor, I had surely smarted for it. So that sufferance and silence was my only succour. All which notwithstanding I obtained licence at length to make my supplication to the noble parliament house, but I could finde no messengers, till Sir John Seaton went, whom I  importunated daily to obtayne me favour for my returne home agayne. But God knoweth, every thinge went awrye, and I stuck faste in the stockes, among many wild wolves and cruell tygers in the shapes of men, who would have worryed and torne me in pieces, had not the Kinge' s goodness garded me, such is their uncivill manner and malice, and such kancred stomaks they beare to an Englishman. I gave the Kinge a booke before I departed thence, which manyfested muche their rudeness. If I had tarryed there never so littell longer, no doubt it had cost me my life, but God be thanked for a faire escape.


Most miserable wretch that I am! howe cursed I may seeme, after all these stormes, if I have lost her Majestie's favor. I desire not to live longer then I maye enjoye her good opinion; I crave no more for all my service, then her gratious countenance, and that not graunted, I wishe I were either buryed quicke, or that the seas had swallowed me. I never meante to offende her Highness willinglie, I take God to witness : and when I was sworne at the counsell boarde of Scotland, all the Lords can testifie that I protested openly I would never be false to the Queene's Majestie and my countrye. And so, with a trewe face and a cleere conscience, I have humbled my boddy and life to her mercie. Wherefore, as I have ever bouldly reposed my hope wholly in your honorable goodness, so I beseech you vouchsafe me some comforte, who still praieth for the increase of your good giftes of grace and preservation of honor.

From Bardwicke, the 23rd of June, 1581.
Yor Honor's humbly at commandement,
Thomas Churchyard.




[1] Berwick, an English fortress.
[2] Queen Elizabeth and her times, original letters selected from the private...
(1838), II.140-2.

Also at Virtual Grub Street:

  • A Model for Lady Macbeth.  July 12, 2020.  “In Macbeth, the Lady of the castle would also seem to be her Lord’s indomitable will.  She will see the deeds done that need be done in order for him to pass the daunting tests and wear the crown.”
  • What About Edward de Vere’s Twelfth Night of 1600/01? January 28, 2020. “Leslie Hotson, who brought the Orsino-Orsino coincidence to the attention of the Nevillians seems to have made one particular mistake that is all to our point.”
  • What Color Were Shakespeare’s Potatoes? July 27, 2019. “By the year 1599-1600, when Shakespeare’s play would seem to have been written, the potato was available in London.  It was considered a delectable treat and an aphrodisiac.”
  • Gossip as History: Anne Boleyn, Part 1.  November 8, 2019. “This is more than just gossip, I submit.  It is a vital part of the historical record.”
  • Check out the English Renaissance Article Index for many more articles and reviews about this fascinating time and about the Shakespeare Authorship Question.
  • Check out the English Renaissance Letter Index for many letters from this fascinating time, some related to the Shakespeare Authorship Question.

No comments: